Getting your next car
As you reach the end of your current contract, you may be thinking of getting your next Motability car. You can choose from a wide range of around 2,000 cars, from all of the top manufacturers. Our dealer network has expanded to nearly 5,000 dealerships and we now have around 450 cars that you can drive away with no Advance Payment - with hundreds more at less than £500.
So, here’s what you need to know:
Three months before the end of your lease:
- Consider adaptations if you think you need them
- Search a dealer . Visit as many as you need to
- Take a test drive to make sure the car you’re interested in is suitable for your needs
- Make sure your name and address details are up to date with both the DVLA and the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)Opens in new window or the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA)Opens in new window
- Place your order with your dealer. Make sure you tell your dealer about anyone you wish to drive the car, including yourself. This is the case even if you’re keeping the same driver as on your current lease.
Remember that all named drivers should live within five miles of your address. If you disability-related needs can only be met by having drivers outside of this range, please call Customer Services on 0845 456 4566. Drivers aged under 25 (whether yourself or a named driver) can drive a Motability car, as long as it is in ABI Insurance Group 16 or lower and has brakehorse power rating of 115BHP or less.
When ordering your new car, take these with you:
- Both parts of your driving licence if you wish to drive
- Certificate of entitlement from either DWP or SPVA
- Proof of address (e.g. recent utility bill)
- Named drivers’ driving licence (both parts) and consent. Named drivers must give consent, either in person by going with you when you place your order or by filling out a Driver Consent Form.
As part of the ordering process, you and your drivers will need to sign a Statement of Responsibilities to confirm you understand and agree to abide by the Scheme guidelines
Don't forget to tell your dealer if you have a personalised number plate and wish to transfer it onto your new car.
Two months to go:
- Your dealer will contact you to book an MOT test for your current car (excluding customers in Northern Ireland and Isle of Man). Once completed, your dealer will keep the certificate.
- Look out for your new Personal Identification Number (PIN) . We’ll send this to you along with all the information about your new lease and the Terms and Conditions. Your secure PIN enables you to ‘sign’ all the paperwork via the dealer’s computer. Take it with you when you pick up your new car.
One month to go:
- We’ll send you a new tax disc if you need one (except in Northern Ireland and Isle of Man) about 10 days before your current tax disc expires
- You don’t have to remove adaptations, but if you want to, please arrange this with your local adaptations installer
- Keep in touch with your dealer about the delivery date. Don’t worry if there’s a delay. The dealer supplying your new car will arrange for you to stay in your current car until the new one is ready. However, if you are in a Low Mileage or Long Term Lease Extension and there is a delay, please call 0845 456 4566 to arrange this.
- When collecting your new car, don’t forget to bring your driving licence plus the letter we sent you which includes your PIN
- Return your current car to the dealer supplying your new car
- Hand back any documentation and equipment from your current car, such as the manufacturer handbook and spare keys
- The dealer will take a brief condition description of the car. Provided the car is in good condition you could receive a £250 bonus a few weeks later.
- Check that you and/or your nominated drivers are on your new insurance cover note.
- Make sure the dealer has your correct contact details so they can contact you during your lease with important information such as service reminders.
- Before you enter your PIN ask your dealer to give you a tour of the car. If you don’t recognise any features please discuss this with your dealer before you leave.
Then drive away in your new car!
Download our guide to leasing your next car from the Useful Downloads page