When you’ve picked your WAV and you’re ready to place your order, your WAV supplier will ask you to complete a few simple forms:
- Statement of responsibilities and suitability confirmation Will download a resource(PDF 118KB) – this confirms and that you and your drivers understand and agree to abide by the Motability Scheme rules about how you can use your WAV
- Driver consent forms – this gives us consent to check the details of your nominated drivers with the DVLA
Along with the above forms, you will also need to give your WAV supplier:
- DWP entitlement letter – this can be a copy so you don’t have to give your original
- Copies of both parts of your nominated drivers’ driving licences
- Your award letter if you are receiving financial help from Motability, the charity
Your WAV supplier will then place your application on our system, which we then take a few days to check before passing it back to your dealer to place the order. You can use our Application Checker to find out if your application has passed our checks.
Once your application is accepted we will send you a letter with confirmation and a copy of your Personal Identification Number (PIN). Keep your PIN in a safe place with your other paperwork – this acts as your signature and acceptance of the terms and conditions of your lease agreement. Your WAV supplier will usually send you an order form to sign and return, this will say what vehicle you’ve chosen and any optional extras you have added.
After your order has been placed, your WAV supplier will be able to let you know when it will be ready for delivery. On average this takes between 12 and 16 weeks. But if you have ordered a Nearly New WAV it should only take a few weeks.
Once your WAV is ready your supplier will deliver it straight to your home. They show you and your carer around your new WAV and will go through how each of the features work. Take some time to practice these features and ask the supplier any questions you have.
Your WAV will give you a welcome pack containing our WAV handbook which will tell you everything you need to know over the course of your lease. The pack will also include your insurance documents – check all your nominated drivers are listed.
About a month after you take delivery of your new WAV, your WAV supplier will be back in touch to offer a free check at your home to ensure you are making the most of your new vehicle. It will cover a reminder of how the features and functions of your new WAV work and ensure it is meeting your needs and expectations.
If you think a WAV is the best vehicle for your needs, but are unable to afford the full cost, then Motability, the charity may be able to offer financial help . Applications are means tested and any help will only go towards your basic mobility needs.