This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience, by continuing to browse on the website you are agreeing to our cookie policy.

Print this page
Print this page

Removal of paper driving licence counterpart

As of 8 June 2015, the DVLA stopped issuing paper driving licence counterparts in mainland UK.

The information previously logged on the counterpart will be recorded on the DVLA’s online database. If you hold a paper counterpart, it no longer has any legal status.

These changes apply in England, Scotland and Wales. This does not apply in Northern Ireland. Additionally, paper driving licences issued before the photocard came into effect in 1998 remain valid and should not be destroyed. If you need to update your name, address or renew your licence, you will be issued with a photocard only.

When you place a new application, your dealer will enter your or your nominated drivers’ details and we will be able to check whether there are any endorsements, such as points or offences, using the DVLA’s online service.

If you need to call RSAM to add or change a driver during your lease, you must provide your proposed driver’s details including any motoring convictions in the last five years. You can obtain the details by visiting in new window . Alternatively you can contact the DVLA on 0300 790 6801.

You can find out more about upcoming changes at in new window .