Protecting the Scheme
Clear and simple guidelines help us to make sure the Motability Scheme upholds our core principle of helping disabled people to enjoy affordable, worry-free motoring.
Pricing - general principles
Our car price list reflects the choices made by the vast majority of our customers:
- The range of cars available through the Scheme includes those with a retail price of up to £28,000, or £29,500 for automatics, to provide an affordable range to meet customer requirements.
- We are confident that customers will find a suitable vehicle from the wide selection available and that the Scheme offering meets our customers’ disability-related requirements.
- Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles are converted from larger base vehicles and are therefore available outside these parameters.
Drivers – a few simple rules
To help combat misuse of our cars, and to make sure that all Motability Scheme cars are used for the benefit of the disabled person:
- All nominated drivers added to a lease should live with, or within five miles of the disabled customer. We will however, consider requests to include drivers outside this range where this is essential to support the customer’s needs.
- When you order your car, as part of the ordering process, you, your nominated drivers and the Motability Scheme dealer will need to sign a ‘Statement of responsibilities and suitability confirmation’ form Will download a resource(PDF 120KB) , which shows you understand and agree to abide by the guidelines on how to use your car. This document has been developed to ensure anyone who will be driving the car understands the policies surrounding its usage and to help combat misuse of Motability Scheme cars .
To enable us to continue providing affordable motoring for all:
- Drivers aged under 25 are restricted to cars with an ABI Insurance Group 16 or lower and with a power output of 120 brake horsepower (BHP) or less. This does not apply to Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles. For more information, speak to your dealer or visit thatcham.org/abigroupratingOpens in new window
- Only one named driver under 21 is permitted. This could be the disabled customer, or another driver living at the same address.
If you are choosing your next car and nominated drivers, you will need to take these policies into account.
The Motability Scheme includes insurance cover for two named drivers, however regardless of who is driving the car, it should always be used for the benefit of the disabled customer. To ensure that you are gaining direct benefit from your Motability Scheme car, in some cases we may talk to you about fitting a location tracker. An example of this could be if none of your named drivers are resident at your address or you live in a care home where a number of drivers have access to the car. If this is the case, we will always speak to you in advance.
Location trackers are just one of the many ways that we act to protect the Scheme from abuse and to ensure that the cars are used for the benefit of our customers.