Who can join?
The Motability Scheme enables disabled people to get mobile by exchanging their mobility allowance to lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair. The Eligibility Checker tool and the information below will help you to find out if you may be eligible to apply to join the Scheme.
To be eligible to join the Motability Scheme, you need to receive one of the following mobility allowances and you must have at least 12 months’ award length remaining. Please note that the Attendance Allowance cannot be used to lease a car through the Scheme.
- Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (HRMC DLA)
As of 8 April 2015, this allowance is £57.45 per week.
- Enhanced Rate Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (ERMC PIP)
As of 6 April 2015, this allowance is £57.45 per week.
- War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
As of 6 April 2015, this allowance is £64.15 per week.
- Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
As of 8 April 2015, the mobility element of the allowance is £57.45 per week.
Want more Scheme information?
Simply complete our form and we will send you an information pack including:
- A quick guide to getting the car of your choice
- A snapshot of the latest cars and prices
- How adaptations could help
Remember, you can choose to spend your higher rate mobility allowance in whatever way you wish. If you only travel short distances, you might want to consider leasing a Motability Scheme scooter instead of a car. However, if you only travel occasionally, it might be more cost-effective for you to spend your allowance on other modes of transport such as taxis. Organisations such as and produce high quality information on a number of accessible mobility solutions.