How to join the Motability Scheme
If you’re in receipt of one of the eligible higher rate mobility allowances and are ready to join the 600,000 customers already enjoying the benefits of a worry-free lease package through the Motability Scheme, find out the simple next steps to getting on the road.
If you'd like to know more about the Motability Scheme, request a free information pack and we'll send you all the information that you need to make the right choice, or you can find out more information below.
Explore the full range of vehicles available:
Find a dealer or adaptations installer near you:
A reminder of how the Scheme works
You exchange all, or part of your mobility allowance to lease the vehicle of your choice. You choose the vehicle you want at a price that works for you , and payments are deducted from your higher rate mobility allowance every four weeks, then paid directly to us by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).
Allowances and the Motability Scheme
To be eligible to join the Scheme, you need to receive one of the below mobility allowances and must have at least 12 months' award length of your allowance remaining, or if you are the parent or guardian of a child aged three or over, you can apply on their behalf.
- Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (HMRC DLA)
- Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (ERMC PIP)
- War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
- Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
Please note, that the Attendance Allowance cannot be used to lease a car through the Motability Scheme.
Simple, all-inclusive leasing
Our standard lease is over three years, or five years if you are leasing a Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle and we take care of running costs such as insurance for up to three named drivers (this doesn’t have to be you), servicing, maintenance, breakdown cover and tyre and windscreen repair and replacement. All you need to do is add fuel and go.
Regardless of which Motability Scheme product you choose to get you mobile, all our products come with the same worry-free package, including:
- Insurance (that's for three named drivers on our cars and WAVs)
- Breakdown cover from the RAC (Motability Assist for scooters and powered wheelchairs)
- Servicing and maintenance
- Hundreds of adaptations for your car, many at no extra cost
- Tyre repair and replacement, windscreen repair, MOTs and road tax
- 60,000 mileage allowance for over three years, or 100,000 over five years for WAVs
- Battery replacement for scooters at no extra cost
- Support from our dedicated UK-based Customer Services team (who were recently voted best in the UK).
Why join us?
Motability Scheme dealers will help you choose the product that works for you and your family, and complete the application. We arrange payment with the DWP directly from your allowance. Then at the end of the lease, you can simply hand the vehicle back and start your next lease.
There's a range of vehicles
You choose the budget that works for you, whether that’s paying less than your weekly mobility allowance, exactly the same as your allowance, or your allowance topped-up with a one-off Advance Payment.
You can rely on us
It’s a brand new vehicle or product with insurance and breakdown cover included, so you don’t have to worry about any of the running costs or making arrangements, we’re here to help.
Don't just take our word for it...
Here are some of our happy customers explaining why they chose the Motability Scheme to keep them mobile.
Pauline explains what driving means to her, and how leasing a car through the Motability Scheme helped her achieve her PhD.
New customer, Sophie, shares her experiences of leasing a WAV for the first time.