I'm looking for...

Recent searches
Suggested searches
  1. Print this page

    What is Personal Independence Payment (PIP)?

    PIP is gradually replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for disabled people aged between 16 and State Pension age. Like DLA, PIP has two components: a daily living component and a mobility component. Each component has two rates of payment: a ‘standard rate’ and an ‘enhanced rate’ which will be the same amount as the DLA. You can lease a Motability Scheme car, scooter or powered wheelchair by using the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of PIP, similar to the Higher Rate Mobility Component of DLA.

    The Government started to replace DLA with PIP in Great Britain in April 2013 and in Northern Ireland in June 2016. The process is still ongoing in Great Britain but is now complete in Northern Ireland.

    The DWP are writing to affected DLA recipients informing them that they will need to apply for PIP. You do not need to do anything until you are contacted, however, when you receive the letter, it is important to respond to the invitation within the given timescales.

    Please note that in Scotland, PIP is being replaced with Adult Disability Payment which will be administered by Social Security Scotland rather than the DWP.

    Find out more about Personal Independence Payment

Back to FAQs