Types of scooters
A mobility scooter, rather than a powered wheelchair, is probably the right choice if you can travel relatively independently, get on and off the scooter on your own, and are able to use a bicycle style steering column, or tiller. We've grouped our disability scooter range into three different categories - small, medium and large, to make sure that you choose the mobility scooter most appropriate to your needs and lifestyle.
Light and easy to transport, these scooters usually dismantle into a few parts to allow you to stow it in a car boot. You’ll need to make sure that any small scooter you lease can fit easily into your car, and that you, or your carer, are physically able to lift it into the boot easily. These scooters are often made with a lighter frame to make them easier to transport, but this means there is a limit to the amount of passenger weight they can carry and the distance they can travel before the battery needs to be recharged.
- Not suitable for use on the road
- Small, compact and lightweight
- Fold or dismantle for storage and/or transportation
- Can be used around the home
- Generally have a lower maximum weight capacity, usually up to 135kg or 21 stone
- Have a smaller average range that can be travelled without requiring the battery to be recharged, usually up to a maximum of around 10 miles
Medium scooters (Class 2 and Class 3)
Generally sturdier and able to transport more weight than small scooters, medium scooters can travel at speeds of up to 6mph. They are not as easy to fold or dismantle so may be more difficult to transport in a car. Speak to your dealer to find out which models you can dismantle. A Class 3 medium scooter can be used on the road if they are taxed.
- Most models will have a greater travel range than small scooters, generally a maximum of around 20 miles
- Some have a greater weight capacity, ranging from around 135kg to 150kg (21 to 25 stone), depending on the model
- Many have a wider turning circle than smaller models
Large road-legal scooters
Suitable for longer distances and rougher surfaces, these scooters can carry between 20 to 30 stone (up to a maximum of 250kg) in passenger weight. Due to the size of these scooters, you’ll need to have space to store them in a secure, locked area. All Motability large scooters are classified as Class 3 products by the Department for Transport so must have road tax (provided free of charge by the DVLA); this can be arranged for you by your dealer. They can travel up to 8mph on the road (4mph limit on pavements). For more detailed information about road rules for Class 3 scooters, visit our Scooter Highway Code page .
- Can be used on roads if taxed
- Maximum speed of 8mph
- Generally have larger seats and can carry more weight
- Generally have a greater battery range, meaning they can travel further between charging, usually up to 25 or 30 miles
- Require more storage space in a secure, locked area
- Include lights, indicators and horn
- Not easily transportable
Department for Transport classifications
- All scooters and powered wheelchairs are given a classification by the Department for Transport:
- Class 2 products can only be used on the pavement and have a maximum speed of 4mph. Recipients aged under 14 are restricted to Class 2 products only.
- Class 3 products must be registered with the DVLA and require road tax - your Motability dealer will take care of this for you. They can travel up to 8mph, although must only be driven at 4mph on pavements.
Speak to an expert to find the right scooter for you
When you’ve considered the type of scooter you might need, the next step is to speak to one of our specially trained Motability dealers to talk through all of your requirements.
Once you’ve spoken to them, they will bring a few products to your home that they think are most suitable. You will be able to test drive these in and around your home. Alternatively, you can visit a dealer showroom to see a range of available models. Search for a Motability dealer close by to you by using our handy find a dealer tool.
Find a dealer