Use of your car
Before you can lease a car on the Motability Scheme, you’ll need to make sure you’re happy to lease a car within the Scheme’s terms and conditions.
We’ll ask you to make sure:
- The car is used by, or for the benefit of, the disabled person. This does not mean that the disabled person needs to be in the car for every journey. In practice, this means other named drivers in the household can use the car for shopping and other routine activities, as long as the disabled customer will benefit
- Only named drivers listed on your Certificate of Motor Insurance can drive the car*
- That you let us know about any changes that may affect your lease.
* Please note, we can only accept drivers with licences we are able to check. In order to do this, drivers must hold a UK driving licence or provide us with written details of their driving history from the agency that issued their licence. Speak to your dealer for further information. Drivers with a non-UK driving licence can apply for a UK driving licence through the DVLA.
At the time of ordering your new car , you, your nominated drivers and the Motability dealer will need to sign a Statement of Responsibilities Will download a resource(PDF 151KB) to confirm you understand and agree to follow the terms and conditions for using your Motability car.
Misuse would include:
- Not giving the disabled person the benefit of the car
- Driving whilst uninsured or banned
- Using the car in a criminal act
- Lending, sub-leasing or selling the car
- Using the car for unauthorised business purposes, for example, as a taxi or delivery vehicle
- Not taking proper care of your car
If your car is misused
When we are given information about misuse, we always investigate. If we find serious misuse or severe damage we will take action:
- Your agreement may be cancelled
- You may not be able to get another Motability car
- We may send you the bill for any repairs or estimated loss in sale value.
If you are concerned that someone is misusing any Motability vehicle, please use our contact form to report the issue.