Who we are
There are two organisations which work closely together to deliver the Motability Scheme. They are:
- Motability, a registered charity (No 299745) responsible for the strategic direction and oversight of the Motability Scheme, and
- Motability Operations Limited, a private company that operates the Scheme under contract to Motability.
Motability is a national charity, set up with all party parliamentary support in 1977 and incorporated by Royal Charter. Our objective is to help disabled people with their personal mobility.
- Motability sets the strategic policies and direction of the Motability Scheme and oversees its performance to ensure it meets the needs of disabled people.
- Motability provides financial help (grants) to disabled people who would not otherwise be able to afford the vehicle or adaptations they need.
- Motability undertakes a range of fundraising activities to contribute to the provision of financial help to those Scheme customers whose allowance does not cover the cost of the mobility solution they need.
About Motability Operations Limited
Since 1978, Motability Operations LimitedOpens in new window has been responsible for the finance, administration and maintenance of the Car Scheme and the Powered Wheelchair and Scooter Scheme. Motability Operations Limited are owned by the UK's four major banks - Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds and RBS.
When you lease a car through the Motability Scheme, all or part of your mobility allowance is paid directly to Motability Operations Limited for the length of the agreement.
The Scheme aims to provide a wide range of affordable vehicles to meet customers' mobility needs.