Print this page
Print this page

Hire cars and courtesy cars

There may be some situations when you are unable to use your own car for a while, for example, if your car is being serviced, repaired, or if you have broken down. We will do our best to keep you mobile by providing you with one of the dealership’s own cars (a courtesy car) or arranging a hire car.

Dealership service or repairs:

If you have given your dealer three weeks’ notice, a courtesy car is guaranteed. If you give less notice and the dealership does not have a courtesy car available, your dealer may be able to arrange a hire car through us. In order for your dealer to arrange this, your car must be off the road for at least 24 hours.


While attending your breakdown, if the RAC has advised that your car needs to be repaired, you can ask RAC for a hire car for 48 hours. You need to make this request within 48 hours of the RAC coming out to you. RAC will keep in touch with you and let you know how your car repairs are progressing.

Insurance claim:

If your car is being repaired at a RSA Motability (RSAM) recommended repairer as part of an insurance claim, you will get a free courtesy car until your car is fixed, or RSAM will contact you to discuss alternative arrangements.

Your insurance cover

Type of car

Most courtesy cars are small 5-door cars such as a Ford Fiesta or Vauxhall Corsa. If this type of car is not suitable due to your disability or adaptations, please mention your needs when asking for a courtesy car. In some cases your dealer will be able to arrange for a bigger hire car. If you have adaptations fitted and your vehicle is off the road for five days, we may be able to offer you a courtesy vehicle with similar adaptations. We will do our best to help you but your contract doesn’t guarantee a like-for-like replacement.

Things to consider

If you are being provided with a courtesy car by a repairer or dealer you will not be asked to pay anything. The car will usually be supplied with a certain amount of fuel and you will be asked to return it with the same amount of fuel.However, for hire cars, there are a few things to bear in mind.

  • Fuel deposit:  Any hire car provided by the RAC, RSAM or Motability will have a full tank of fuel. You will need to pay a fuel deposit to the hire company (this is usually £50 but can vary between companies) - this will be refunded if you return the car with a full tank of fuel.
  • Fuel charges:  If the car is collected from you, the cost of the fuel used to get back to the depot will be taken off your deposit. Hire car companies charge top rates for fuel plus an administrative charge. If the tank is empty the fuel deposit may not cover the full cost and you will be invoiced for any outstanding amount.
  • Liability:  You will need to sign a rental agreement and extension liability form. This means that you are responsible for any loss, damage or charges to the hire car.
  • Mileage:  Please check whether there is a mileage limit. Some hire companies charge if you exceed this limit.

WAV customers

If you cannot drive your WAV for five consecutive days due to it being serviced or repaired we aim to provide you with a courtesy vehicle to suit your needs. However, please note that due to the specialised and converted nature of WAVs, it may not be possible to provide you with a like-for-like wheelchair accessible courtesy vehicle.

If this is not possible, or your WAV is likely to be off the road for less than five days, we will try to find alternative solution. If the situation lasts longer than one week, you may be able to claim benefits for ‘loss of use.’