Above all, we want to make leasing a brand new car affordable. There are three pricing options to choose from:
- Around 150 cars cost less than your allowance. These cars are available at a fixed weekly amount for the whole of your agreement. The remainder of your allowance, including any annual increases, will be paid directly to you by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)Opens in new window or Veterans UKOpens in new window depending on which allowance you receive. You can search for these cars by choosing the ‘Show cars costing less than your mobility allowance’ option on the Car Search tool
- You can increase your choice by a further 350 cars, by choosing to exchange all of your weekly mobility allowance. This payment will include any increases in your allowance during your lease. You can search for these cars by choosing the ‘Show cars using all of your mobility allowance’ option on the Car Search tool
- To have a wider choice, you can choose to add to your weekly allowance by paying a one-off upfront Advance Payment. You can search for these cars by choosing the ‘Show cars using all of your mobility allowance’ option on the Car Search tool and selecting an Advance Payment range which you’re comfortable with.
Transferring your allowance to Motability Operations is simple to arrange and can be done through your dealer. Your allowance is paid directly to us by the Department for Work and PensionsOpens in new window or Veterans UKOpens in new window , and you cannot alter the amount of the weekly payments.
- What it is This is an amount payable upfront to your Motability dealer in addition to your weekly mobility allowance
- Why it’s needed Your mobility allowance may not cover the cost for some larger or more expensive cars. These cars are allocated with an Advance Payment which represents the difference between the amount your allowance covers over the three-year agreement period and the overall cost of the car you choose
- How it works The Advance Payment is not a deposit and is therefore non-refundable. If an Advance Payment is required, the amount is fixed at the price available when you order your car
- How it’s calculated Each Advance Payment is calculated by considering factors such as the cost of the car, its servicing and maintenance and its expected resale value at the end of contract. Our expert team negotiates with manufacturers every three months to get the best price for Motability customers
- When you pay it The amount is payable in one lump sum to your Motability dealer either before or on the day you collect your new car. Some dealers do ask for a holding deposit when you place your order, but any deposit paid will be deducted from the Advance Payment you pay when collecting your car. If you want to pay by cheque, this must be given to your dealer at least seven days before you collect your car, to allow funds to clear.
Advance Payments for WAVs
All new WAVs come with an Advance Payment to cover the cost of the five-year lease. The Advance Payment varies across the range of WAVs from a few hundred to several thousand pounds. If you’re looking for a more affordable way to lease a WAV then a Nearly New WAV might be for you. Nearly New WAVs have a lower Advance Payment than the equivalent new WAV and are sometimes available at no Advance Payment. Speak to the relevant WAV converter for more information.
Motability’s price guarantee
Our price lists are updated every three months, so you can be assured you’re getting the best prices from each manufacturer. The dates the new prices are published are:
- 1 January
- 1 April
- 1 July
- 1 October
This means the Advance Payment on a car can change throughout the year. We operate a price guarantee, which means the Advance Payment of the car on the date your order is accepted won’t change, even if it changes while you are waiting for the delivery of your car.
If you lose the allowance during your lease, we will make arrangements for the return of the car. However, you will only pay the cost of the lease until the car is returned, not for the remaining length of the lease. Your Advance Payment will be refunded to you on a pro rata basis.
Choosing a car with optional extras such as electric windows or air conditioning will increase the amount you need to pay to your dealer upfront.
- If you are a WAV customer , your WAV converter will be able to give you a price for extras such as parking sensors or separate air conditioning controls for the back of the vehicle. But please note that payment for these will be dealt with separately from the Motability Advance Payment.
- Any adaptations ordered will be outlined in the customer acceptance letter we send with your PIN. The cost of any adaptations, less any grant awarded, is payable directly to your dealer together with the Advance Payment before you take delivery of your car.
The cost of running your car
Many things are already included in your Motability lease, such as insurance, servicing and breakdown. Our all-inclusive package may may make motoring more affordable but it is still worth thinking about running costs, particularly fuel, when choosing your Motability car. To keep the running costs down you may want to consider a more fuel efficient engine. Most manufacturers publish a figure for how many miles per gallon of fuel (mpg) a car will normally do, and this will help you decide how economical it may be. You can find the average annual fuel costs and miles per gallon (mpg) for each model in our Car Search tool . The mpg given is a guide to help you compare cars. The actual mpg each car achieves will differ depending on your individual driving style and travel habits.
Other costs you may also need to consider
- You will need to pay a fixed amount of any claim for loss and damage, known as an insurance excess. This excess varies depending on the age and experience of the driver - more information can be found in the RSAM insurance cover booklet Will download a resource(PDF 431KB)
- Any fines, such as parking or speeding
- Cover for theft or damage to personal, belongings in the car is not included, for example wheelchairs, coats and mobile phones. One option is to extend your household contents insurance cover.
Trade-in your old car
If you are new to the Motability Scheme, you can trade-in your privately owned car to help finance the Advance Payment of your new car. Around a quarter of Motability dealers offer this and the dealer will arrange the trade-in with you directly.
Visit the Car Search tool