WAV stands for Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle. This means you can travel in the vehicle while seat in your wheelchair

Replacement travel

There might be some situations when you cannot use your vehicle temporarily. For example, if your vehicle is being repaired, or you've broken down.

We'll do our best to give you as suitable a replacement as possible or we’ll offer you other solutions for your essential travel needs.

We’ll always try to help, but we recommend you rearrange non-essential appointments and let family, friends or carers know if you need support while your vehicle is unavailable.

Most replacement vehicles are small five-door cars. If this is not suitable because of your disability or adaptations, please mention this when you ask for a replacement. We might not always be able to give you something that suits your needs, but we’ll offer you alternatives.

RAC arrange hire cars and Direct Line Motability (DLM) manage insurance claims, so you’ll need to speak to them throughout, and there might be some extra costs.

Routine servicing and repairs

For routine servicing and repairs, try to give your dealer as much notice as possible. If you give them at least three weeks' notice, they'll try to give you one of their courtesy cars. You can find your dealer information in your online account or on our dealer page.

If you give less notice or your dealer does not have a replacement available, they might be able to help by offering other solutions.

Your vehicle needs to be off the road for more than 24 hours for them to arrange this.

If you break down

Once you've told the RAC you've broken down and they've come to you, if the patrol decides your vehicle is not driveable they’ll let the RAC know. The RAC can then ask Europcar for a replacement vehicle to keep you mobile. Or they’ll talk to you about alternatives if a suitable replacement is not available.

You need to arrange this. Speak to the RAC on 0800 092 4125. They’ll manage replacement travel while your vehicle is being fixed, for up to maximum of three months.

During your repairs, if you need to speak to someone about your replacement travel, like arranging to hand a hire car back or reporting a problem, please call the RAC.

Different things can affect how quickly you’re contacted and get a vehicle, like high demand, where you are and bad weather. Europcar will always give you a replacement as soon as they can.

While your insurance repairs happen

If you want to talk about your insurance claim or arrangements for a replacement vehicle, sign in to your Motability Scheme online account use the 'Chat now' option within the DLM Insurance Portal.

Sign in

Create an account

Or you can call 0300 037 3737.

The hire car provider will always give you a replacement as soon as they can, but how quickly you’re contacted and get a vehicle depends on things like high demand, where you are and bad weather.

Can I ask for a specific type of vehicle?

We'll try to give you a replacement to suit your needs, but it might not be possible to give you a specific type of vehicle.

If you have a car

Most replacements are small five-door cars, like a Ford Fiesta or Vauxhall Corsa.

If this is not suitable because of your disability or adaptations, please mention this when you ask for a replacement. We'll do our best to help but our priority is to find a solution to keep you mobile. Your contract does not guarantee a like-for-like replacement.

If you have a Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle)

If you cannot drive your Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle for more than 48 hours because it's being repaired, we'll try to give you a replacement to suit your needs.

Because Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles are specialised and converted, we might not be able to give you a like-for-like Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle.

If a replacement is not suitable for you, or your Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle is likely to be off the road for less than 48 hours, we'll try to find an accessible taxi for you, to keep you mobile.

Using a replacement vehicle

If you're given a replacement vehicle by a repairer or dealer you will not be asked to pay anything, unless they need a fuel deposit or for loss, damage or charges to the hire car

The car will usually already have a certain amount of fuel and you'll be asked to return it with the same amount of fuel.

If it's a vehicle from a hire car company, there are a few things to bear in mind.

Things to consider

  • Fuel deposit: any car given to you by the RAC, our insurance provider or us will have a full tank when you get it. You’ll need to pay a fuel deposit to the hire company, which is usually £1 and paid by card, but this can vary. As long as you return the car to the depot in good condition, with a full tank of fuel, this deposit will be refunded to the card you used
  • Fuel charges: if the car is collected from you, you'll need to pay the cost of the fuel used to get back to the depot. Hire car companies charge premium rates for fuel plus an admin fee and you'll be charged for the outstanding amount
  • Insurance: your replacement vehicle will be covered by your Scheme vehicle's insurance, so you do not need to arrange additional cover. Only drivers on your Certificate of Motor Insurance are insured to drive and your drivers need to be able to show a valid driving licence
  • Liability: you'll need to sign a rental agreement and extension liability form. This means you're responsible for any loss, damage or charges to the hire car
  • Mileage: please check whether there's a mileage limit. Some hire companies charge if you go over this

Read Europcar's driver undertaking form(opens in a new window)

Other charges

  • Penalties, fines and charges: you're responsible for these
  • London Congestion Charge: if you're planning to travel within these zones while you have a replacement vehicle, you'll need to register the car with Transport for London (TFL) first. You can register on their website(opens in a new window)
  • Dartford Crossing charge: generally, if you're in a replacement vehicle from Europcar or Proximo, you do not need to pay this. Sometimes there can be delays in updating records of exempt vehicles. If you receive a charge during this time, call our customer service team on 0300 456 4566. Occasionally, you might be given an Enterprise car. These are not automatically exempt and you need to register the car with the Dartford Crossing(opens in a new window) 

Related FAQs

When can I get replacement travel?

You might be able to get replacement travel if your car is being repaired at the dealer or with an insurance repairer.

Read more

Will I get replacement travel if my vehicle has been recovered?

You might get replacement travel if your car is recovered by a repairer or dealer.

Read more

Will I get replacement travel while my Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle is being repaired or serviced?

We'll try to find you replacement travel if your Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle repairs will take more than 48 hours.

Read more