Unsuccessful PIP reassessment
If you are not awarded the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of PIP, you will no longer be eligible to lease a vehicle on the Motability Scheme and we will be in touch to help support you through this transition.
You will have around six week from the DWP’s decision to return your car. We’ll write to you giving you all the information you need, including details of our transitional support package. You may also be eligible for a pro-rata refund of any Advance Payment you made.
Transitional support package for Scheme customers
If the DWP informs us that you’re not eligible for the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of PIP following an unsuccessful DLA to PIP reassessment, we will write to you about returning your car.
For Scheme customers who joined before the end of 2013, there is a package of financial support available as long as you return the car to the dealership in good condition and by the agreed date. Here’s what to expect:
- Up to £2,000 financial support dependent on when you first joined the Scheme (see below*).
- No further lease payments.
- Potential Advance Payment refunded on a pro-rata basis.
- Where relevant, financial support to fit the same adaptations to a non-Scheme vehicle.
- Copy of the ‘ Staying mobile after the Motability Scheme Will download a resource(PDF 958KB) ’ guide which includes advice on buying a used car, information on insurance, maintenance and other mobility solutions .
- Full claims history letter from RSA Motability and details for AutonetOpens in new window , an insurance broker who are able to provide insurance quotes where possible for customers leaving the Motability Scheme.
- A fair market price for your car in case you choose to buy it.
The package has been carefully designed to support our customers through the initial phase of PIP implementation. This package will be reviewed over time to take into account economic conditions and any possible changes the Government may decide to make to PIP.
To visit the Staying Mobile section of our website.
*Please note that £2,000 is only applicable for customers who first joined the Motability Scheme by 31 December 2012. This amount is reduced to £1,000 if you became a customer between 1 January 2013 and 31 December 2013. Or, you will be entitled to the standard £250 Return to Dealer payment if you joined after this date, when more information on PIP became available.*
Q&As about the transitional support package
We've put together some questions and answers about the one-off transitional support package from the Motability Scheme.