WAV stands for Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle. This means you can travel in the vehicle while seat in your wheelchair

Can I learn to drive in my vehicle and get financial help for this?

If you receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Child Disability Payment, you can apply for your provisional licence three months before your 16th birthday and it will be valid once you turn 16.

Then, if you have a Motability Scheme lease, you can learn to drive in your Scheme vehicle.

Other drivers with a provisional licence need to be 21 or older. There can only be one learner driver on your Certificate of Motor Insurance at a time.

The Motability Foundation might be able to help with the cost of up to 40 hours of driving lessons. All grant applications are means-tested and based on your mobility needs, not wants.

Learn more about financial help

Related FAQs

Can I apply for a grant or financial help?

If you’re not able to afford the right mobility solution to meet your needs, the Motability Foundation might be able to offer financial help.

Read more