Unsuccessful PIP reassessment
Existing recipients of the Higher Rate Mobility Component of DLA who are not awarded the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of PIP will no longer be eligible to lease a vehicle on the Motability Scheme.
If you have an unsuccessful DLA to PIP reassessment we will be in touch to help support you through this transition. You will have around eight weeks from when your allowance payments end to return your car. We’ll write to you giving you all the information you need, including details of our transitional support package. You may also be eligible for a pro-rata refund of any Advance Payment you made.
Please note that the transitional support package has been enhanced with effect from 20 April 2017 to allow customers further time to find suitable alternative mobility arrangements.
Transitional support package for Scheme customers
If the DWP informs us that you’re not eligible for the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of PIP following an unsuccessful DLA to PIP reassessment, we will write to you about returning your car.
For Scheme customers who joined before the end of 2013, there is a package of financial support available as long as you return the car to the dealership in good condition and by the agreed date. Here’s what to expect:
- Up to £2,000 financial support dependent on when you first joined the Scheme and the date you return the vehicle (see below*).
- No further lease payments.
- Potential Advance Payment refunded on a pro-rata basis.
- Where relevant, financial support to fit the same adaptations to a non-Scheme vehicle.
- Copy of the ‘ Staying mobile after the Motability Scheme Will download a resource(PDF 829KB) ’ guide which includes advice on buying a used car, information on insurance, maintenance and other mobility solutions .
- Full claims history letter from RSA Motability and details for AutonetOpens in new window , an insurance broker who are able to provide insurance quotes where possible for customers leaving the Motability Scheme. To request a copy of the claims history letter for yourself or a named driver please contact RSAM by emailOpens email client or by calling 0300 037 3737
- A fair market price for your car in case you choose to buy it.
This package will be reviewed regularly and changes may be made to it as a result.
To visit the Staying Mobile section of our website.
*Financial support available:
For customers who joined the Scheme before 2013 and return the car within eight weeks**, £2000 will be available. Alternatively you can choose to keep the vehicle for 26 weeks**, however in this case you will receive a reduced payment of £500.
For customers who joined the Scheme during 2013 and return the car within eight weeks** a transitional support payment of £1,000 will be available. Alternatively you can choose to keep the vehicle for 26 weeks** and receive a reduced payment of £250.
For customers who joined the Scheme since 1 January 2014, when more information on PIP became available, a standard £250 Return to Dealer payment will be available if the vehicle is returned within eight weeks**.
**All dates relate to the period starting from the day of the last DLA allowance payment.
Q&As about the transitional support package
We've put together some questions and answers about the one-off transitional support package from the Motability Scheme.