Print this page
Print this page

Taxing your car when leaving the Motability Scheme

In order to use a non-scheme vehicle on the road it must be taxed. Car tax is easy to pay online and this page is here to help you.

Before you can drive a vehicle on the road, it must be taxed. You can arrange tax for either six or 12 months from the Post Office or online via the DVLA website.

What you pay depends on your car's engine capacity or what fuel it uses and its carbon dioxide emissions. You can find out what tax you need to pay by going to in new window or calling 0300 790 6801.

If you are purchasing your Scheme vehicle you will need to change the vehicle tax class as the car will have previously been exempt from tax. To arrange this you will need to go to the Post Office with your vehicle's V5c Registration Certificate (log book). We will send the V5c to you when you make payment for the vehicle.If you do not receive the higher rate mobility allowance but you do receive the standard rate mobility allowance, you could be eligible for a 50% reduction in car tax. In order to apply you need to send all of the following by post to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DZ:

  • Your statement of entitlement
  • The vehicle‘s V5c Registration Certificate
  • A V10 form (you can get this from your local Post office)
  • A certificate of insurnace cover note (you can send downloaded or faxed copies but not photocopies)
  • An original MOT or GVT certificate (if your vehicle needs one)
  • A cheque or payable order (made out to DVLA Swansea) for 50% of the full rate of car tax available.

Proving your tax and parking status

You should contact your local authorityOpens in new window to find out what parking concessions they may offer and processes they have in place to identify eligibility. If you have a query about a particular car park, speak to the local authority or private operator responsible for that facility in advance.