Choosing a suitable car for you
When choosing a car, there is a lot to consider. Taking time to work out how you will use your car, the types of journeys you regularly make plus considering the things that are important to you in a car can help you choose a vehicle which will best meet your needs. Watch our video below for more on what to consider when choosing your vehicle.
What types of journeys will you make?
For example, will you:
- visit local friends or family
- do your weekly grocery shop
- travel to hospital appointments
- take children to school
- drive in slow traffic to work
- drive long distances on holiday?
Other things that you may need to take into account include:
- How many people are going to travel in it regularly?
- How much motorway driving will you be doing?
- Do you live in a busy town or city?
- Is parking a problem?
- Are you able to change gear easily?
- If you have a mobility aid, will it easily fit in the car?
- Do you need to take your scooter or wheelchair with you?
If you live in a big city for example, and the car is used mainly for short journeys, a small city car may suit you. If you have a big family, you may want to consider a large family car or MPV. If you find it difficult to change gear easily, an automatic might be a good choice.
Small changes in specification can have a big impact on your comfort or the car’s suitability. For example seat height, door opening angle and positioning of the seat belts can all make a big difference.
- Which type of car is right for you?
- Our checklist on choosing a car Will download a resource(PDF 598KB)
- If a WAV is more suitable?
- What vehicles will suit your budget
Search for suitable cars and talk to your dealer
Use our Car Search to search over 2,000 cars. You can search by type of car, plus other options that are important including make and model, fuel type, transmission and more. Once you’ve seen a few cars you’re interested in, the next step is to visit your Motability dealership and take a test drive. With nearly 5,000 dealerships nationwide there’s bound to be one local to you.