How leasing a WAV works
If you have at least 12 months remaining on one of the following mobility allowances, then you can lease a Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV) through the Motability Scheme:
- Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
- Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
All WAVs require an Advance Payment to cover the full cost of the lease. An Advance Payment is the fixed, non-refundable amount payable up front to your WAV supplier in addition to your weekly mobility allowance.
An Advance Payment is needed on WAVs as your mobility allowance doesn’t cover the cost of these larger and more expensive vehicles. Advance Payments are calculated by considering factors such as the cost of the WAV, it’s servicing and maintenance and its expected resale value at the end of your contract.
Many of our WAVs are affordable; however, if you need a WAV but can't afford the Advance Payment, Motability (the charity) may be able to provide financial help .
If you would like optional extras with your WAV such as parking sensors or separate air conditioning controls for the back of the vehicle, your WAV supplier will be able to give you a price for these. But please note that payment for these will be dealt with separately from the Advance Payment.
What are the benefits of the Motability Scheme?
If you choose to lease a WAV through the Scheme, it will come with our worry-free lease package. As with all our lease packages, we take care of all the costs and hassle involved in running a vehicle, including:
- Insurance for two named drivers
- Servicing and maintenance covering both the standard base vehicle and the conversion elements
- Full breakdown assistance from the RAC
- Replacement tyres fitted by Kwik Fit
- Windscreen and window repair or replacement
- Annual car tax.
Additionally for our WAV customers we also offer:
- A dedicated WAV supplier who acts as the first point of contact for any issues with your WAV
- A home visit about a month after your WAV is delivered to check it is meeting your expectations
- Every 12 months your WAV supplier will carry out a health check on the conversion elements of your WAV at your home
- Any critical repairs that prevent you from using your WAV will be attended to within 72 hours
- Where possible your supplier will try to complete any repairs at your home
- If your vehicle is out of action for more than 48 hours, we aim to provide a converted alternative to bridge the gap until yours is repaired
Leaving you able to relax in the knowledge that a WAV leased through our worry-free package really does cover everything except fuel.