Print this page
Print this page

Breakdown assistance and cover for cars

Your Motability Scheme car is covered for breakdown assistance for the whole of your lease. Cover is provided by RAC Motability Assist, which provides full breakdown support just for Motability Scheme customers.

This breakdown cover is for your Motability Scheme car only and does not include any other car you travel in.

What to do if you break down

If your Motability car breaks down or won’t start, call RAC Motability Assist on 0800 73 111 73 . The service aims to get someone out to you within 45 minutes.

If you are on the road or motorway:

  • Try to get your car close to the kerbside or on the hard shoulder, away from the traffic
  • Switch off the engine and put on your hazard warning lights
  • If possible, ensure all passengers leave the car and move to a safe position away from the road
  • If you or your passengers are unable to leave the car, ensure the vehicle is as close as possible to the kerbside or on the hard shoulder
  • Leave all animals in the car
  • If unable to use a mobile phone, use emergency telephones on the motorway and make your free emergency call (UK – 0800 73 111 73 , Republic of Ireland – 1800 535 005 )
  • You will need to provide your name, your vehicle registration, your exact location and the nature of your breakdown. You should also let the RAC know if you or your passengers use a wheelchair, need urgent medical attention or have any other requirements.

The telephone helpline and roadside assistance is available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. RAC Motability Assist staff are specially trained to deal with the concerns of disabled people.

What RAC Motability Assist cover includes


If you’re out and about and your car cannot be repaired at the roadside, Motability Assist will take it to the nearest repairer.

Don’t forget that you can rely on Motability Assist to attend a breakdown of your car, either at your home or your place of work.

Onward travel

Motability Assist will select one of these options to help you get to your destination:

  • Take up to eight people to a single location
  • Provide a replacement car
  • Arrange overnight accommodation, or onward travel costs up to the value of £100 per person or £300 per party - whichever is the lesser amount.

Replacement cars

If your car is judged as not fit to drive, you can use a car provided by RAC Motability Assist for up to 48 hours. We will then be contact you to discuss your mobility options, if your car is still not fixed.

Replacement cars are subject to availability and the terms and conditions of the supplying rental firm and your Motability contract. These Terms and Conditions include the following:

  • Only those named as drivers on your Certificate of Motor Insurance are insured to drive a replacement car
  • A fuel deposit (currently £50) which is refunded provided the car is returned with a full tank of fuel to the hire car branch
  • Any fines or charges such as congestion charges, incurred during the replacement car period are the responsibility of the customer.

Find out more about when a replacement car is available

What RAC Motability cover does not include

Driving in Europe

RAC Motability Assist does not cover travel outside of Europe. If you are travelling outside Europe, we advise that you arrange breakdown cover separately before you take your car abroad. 

If you are travelling within Europe, you will be offered RAC European breakdown cover when you request your VE103 from RAC by calling 0800 731 3310

More about taking your car abroad

Caravans and trailers

If you break down while towing a caravan or trailer, RAC Motability Assist will attend to your car but repairs to your caravan or trailer will cost extra. If the problem can't be fixed on the spot and the breakdown is a result of a fault to your vehicle, RAC Motability will tow your vehicle and trailer or caravan to a destination of your choice. However, if the breakdown is due to a fault to the trailer or caravan, RAC Motability will tow your vehicle and caravan or trailer to a place of safety, up to 10 miles away.

It is best to contact RAC Motability Assist before setting out on your journey to arrange additional cover for your caravan or trailer.