Print this page
Print this page

If your allowance stops

The Motability Scheme enables disabled people to lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair by exchanging their Government funded mobility allowance . If you receive either the Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance, the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) , the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS) or the Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP) you may be eligible to join the Motability Scheme.

Renewing your allowance

If your higher rate mobility allowance is due to expire during your agreement, it is your responsibility to ensure your allowance is renewed on time with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)Opens in new window or Veterans UKOpens in new window so you can continue to use your car, scooter or powered wheelchair. Three months before your allowance is due to expire, if you haven’t already heard anything about your renewal, you should contact the DWP or Veterans UK and ask them to send you the information you need to renew your allowance.

Stopped allowance

If the DWP or Veterans UK decide you are no longer eligible for the higher rate mobility allowance, you are responsible for keeping us informed and we will need to make arrangements to collect the vehicle. You will only pay the cost of the lease until the vehicle is returned. If you paid an Advance Payment, we may refund this to you on a pro rata basis.

If your allowance stops following an unsuccessful DLA to PIP reassessment, read more here