This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience, by continuing to browse on the website you are agreeing to our cookie policy.

Print this page
Print this page

Taking your car abroad

Your insurance cover allows you to take your Motability car abroad within the European Union and to Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein.

VE103 certificate

All Motability Scheme customers need to take a VE103 (Vehicle on Hire) form when travelling to foreign countries in a Motability car. It proves you are allowed to take the car abroad and will cover you for 12 months. You can get this from RAC Motability Assist.

Telephone the special RAC Motability Assist foreign travel line on 0800 73 133 10  at least three weeks before you intend to travel.

European breakdown cover

It is a good idea to get breakdown cover for foreign travel, otherwise you will be responsible for any recovery charges.You will be offered RAC European Breakdown Cover when you request your VE103. To discuss your breakdown cover with RAC Motability Assist, telephone the special foreign travel line on 0800 73 133 10.

More about breakdown cover

Extended insurance cover

Your insurance cover allows you to take your car abroad within the European Union (EU) and to Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein free of charge for up to 90 days in any 12-month period. Please make sure you take your Certificate of Motor Insurance with you when you travel.

However, if you're travelling for more than 90 days, you must first speak to RSA Motability (RSAM) on 0300 037 3737 at least three weeks in advance of your journey. RSAM will consider your request and there may be a charge. If your request is permitted, they will send you written consent including a Green Card.

Cover for legal expenses and replacement locks is not available while abroad.

Country specific rules and regulations

Make sure you check whether there are any specific motoring regulations in the country you are visiting. For example, in some European countries it is compulsory to pack high visibility jackets and a warning triangle in your boot. For more information on what is required in the country you are travelling to, visit the RAC’s motoring advisor toolOpens in new window .

Long-term travel

If you are going abroad for six months or longer, you should contact our Customer Services team on 0300 456 4566. We may need to make changes to your agreement.

Contact us