I'm looking for...

Recent searches
Suggested searches
Print this page

Taking your vehicle abroad

You are allowed to take your Motability Scheme vehicle abroad for up to 12 months to a country within the European Union and to Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. There are, however, a few important documents that you will need to take with you. The 12-month limit is due DVLA changes following Brexit. More information on these changes can be found on the Government’s website.

VE103 certificate

All Motability Scheme customers need to take a VE103 (Vehicle on Hire) form when travelling to foreign countries in their Scheme vehicle. It proves you are allowed to take the vehicle abroad and will cover you for 12 months. You can get this from RAC Motability Assist.

Telephone the special RAC Motability Assist foreign travel line on 0800 73 133 10 at least three weeks before you intend to travel to obtain a VE103 certificate.

Green Cards 

You can take your Scheme vehicle abroad within the European Union (EU) and to Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein free of charge for up to 90 days in total in any 12-month period.

You no longer need a Green Card to drive your Scheme vehicle abroad. 

However, please note that if you are towing a caravan or trailer this may need a Green Card of its own. You can request this from RSAM by calling 0300 037 3737. They will issue a Green Card free of charge, but please be aware they will only provide third party cover whilst the trailer or caravan is attached to your vehicle.

Your driving licence

If you have a UK photocard driving licence, your licence will still be valid when taking your Scheme vehicle abroad. Some countries require you to have an International Driving Permit (IDP) in addition to your UK driving licence, but at this time, none of the countries that you can visit in your Scheme vehicle are planning to implement this for photocard driving licence holders.

However, if you only hold a paper driving licence you may need an IDP to visit certain European countries. More information on IDPs can be found on the Government’s websiteOpens in new window, the Post Office’s websiteOpens in new window or from the Government of the specific country you are visiting.

European breakdown cover

When you request your VE103 you’ll be able to include RAC European Breakdown Cover at no extra cost. If you choose to travel abroad without arranging breakdown cover you’ll be responsible for all recovery charges in the event of a breakdown. To discuss your breakdown cover with RAC Motability Assist, telephone the special foreign travel line on 0800 73 133 10

More about breakdown cover

Country specific rules and regulations

Make sure you check whether there are any specific motoring regulations in the country you are visiting. For example, in some European countries it is compulsory to pack high visibility jackets and a warning triangle in your boot.

Most countries also now require you to display a 'UK' sticker on your vehicleOpens in new window. This replaces the 'GB' sticker that was previously required. For more information on what is required in the country you are travelling to, visit the RAC’s motoring advisor toolOpens in new window.

It is also worth taking a Statement of Facts on Motor Vehicle Accident form in case you have an accident while you are abroad. These can be printed in English and the language of the country you are visiting, so that you can easily exchange details with another driver despite any potential language barrier. You can obtain a copy of this form from www.cartraveldocs.comOpens in new window.

Duration of travel

You are not permitted to take your the Motability Scheme vehicle abroad for more than 12 months.

If you are travelling abroad for more than 90 days in total within a 12 month period, you must speak to RSA Motability (RSAM) on 0300 037 3737 at least three weeks in advance of your journey. If your request is permitted, they will send you written consent. Please note that cover for legal expenses and replacement locks is not available while you are abroad.

If you are going abroad for between 6 and 12 months, you must contact our Customer Services team on 0300 456 4566  at least three weeks in advance of your journey as you will need written permission from us before you travel. If your request is permitted, we will send you written consent.

Contact us