Ordering and delivery of your car
Once you have taken a test drive and chosen your car, you are ready to place an order. Your Motability Scheme specialist will place the order for you online at the dealership. Watch our quick animation below to see how it works.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation, please contact your dealership directly to understand how they are operating within the current regulations. For more information see our FAQs .
How to order
Your Motability Scheme specialist will place the order for you online at the dealership. You’ll just need to have 12 months remaining on your mobility allowance when you place the application.
What to bring
You will need to bring the following items with you when placing your order:
- Certificate of entitlement for your award from either the DWP or Veterans UK (the award letter stating which allowance you have been awarded and the duration)
- Proof of address (e.g. recent utility bill or bank statement)
- Driving licences for all named drivers and details of any previous accidents or driving convictions.
If your named driver is unable to come with you to place the order, they must complete a Driver Fair Processing Declaration Form Will download a resource(PDF 59KB) before we can check their details.
You should be there to place the order yourself, unless you have a legal appointee to represent you.
Your Motability Scheme specialist will guide you through the Statement of Responsibilities form Will download a resource(PDF 50KB) to check the car you have chosen is suitable for you now and over the next three years.
If you, or any named drivers, have driving licence restriction codes that require adaptations to be fitted to the car, your dealership will need to make sure that these adaptations are added to the application. Delivery of your car can’t take place until the correct adaptations are fitted. This is to ensure that you, or your driver, are driving the car according to the required driving licence codes held by the DVLA.
If the driving licence restriction codes are no longer required, please contact the DVLA to discuss the code being removed from the licence. The DVLA can be contacted by calling 0300 790 6801.
Once placed, we’ll just need a few days to check your application before we pass it back to the dealership to order your car. You can create a Motability Scheme online account to check the progress of your order and view other key information about your lease. Your dealer may discuss this with you during your application but if not, you can find out more and create an account here .
We will then send you a customer acceptance letter, approximately two weeks after you have ordered your car confirming all of the details of your order. We will include your Personal Identification Number (PIN), which you will need to keep safe until your car is delivered, and a copy of your Contract Hire Terms and Conditions .
Delivery times vary from model to model so please stay in touch with your dealer in case there are delays. It is also worth discussing delivery times with your dealer before choosing your car, in case the car of your choice is currently not available, resulting in a longer delivery time.
We offer a firm ‘price guarantee’ to our customers, which means that the price you agree with the dealer when your application is accepted, is the price you pay when you collect your car. This guarantee stands however long it takes for your new car to be delivered. The only case where the price may alter is if the car description is changed subsequent to the original application.
Planning for delivery day
To make the process of collecting your new Motability Scheme car from your dealer as worry-free as possible, there are a few things you can do to plan ahead.
It’s best to call your dealer a week or so before your car is due. They will be able to confirm the estimated delivery time.
You or your appointee must be at the dealership to sign for the new car. If you are not well, please get in touch with your dealer and agree another date. A nominated driver cannot collect the car without you. The only exception to this is for Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV) customers who have arranged their vehicle to be delivered to their home.
To pick up your new car you will need key in your Personal Identification Number (PIN) at the dealership. This is instead of signing a paper document and confirms your acceptance of the Contract Hire Agreement Terms and Conditions. Don’t worry if you have lost, or not received your PIN you can access it in one the following ways:
- If you have more than two weeks to go, please call our Customer Services team on 0300 456 4566 and we can post a new PIN to you.
- If you can remember the password you gave your Motability Scheme specialist when you placed your order, they can access the PIN for you.
- If you are unable to recall your password or your dealer doesn’t have a mobile number for you, they can contact us and we will ask you a few security questions over the phone.
Please remember to tell your dealer in advance if you don’t have your PIN.
If your car has an Advance Payment it will need to be paid in full to your dealer either before or on the day you collect your new car. In some cases, according to individual dealership policies, your dealer may ask for a deposit to be paid when you are ordering your new car. Any deposit paid will be deducted from the Advance Payment you need to pay when collecting your car.
If you wish to pay by personal cheque, this should be given to your dealer at least seven days in advance of collecting your car, to allow time for funds to clear.
Checking your car
Make sure you check your car before you enter your PIN.
By entering your PIN you are accepting your car and are beginning your lease agreement. Before you 'sign':
- Ask your dealer to give you a tour of the car. If you are not sure about any features on your car, ask your dealer to explain them before you drive away. If your car has locking wheel nuts, make sure that you know where they are - they are usually in the boot of your car. If there are any obvious problems with your car, we would advise you not to key-in the PIN
- Check that you and/or your nominated drivers are on your new insurance cover note
- Make sure the dealer has your correct contact details so that they can contact you during your lease with important information, such as service reminders.
- And then you’re ready to go! Welcome to the Motability Scheme.