Our website will be down for maintenance and upgrades from 10pm on Wednesday 18 September until 6am on Thursday 19 September. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Print this page
Print this page

If you're involved in a car accident

Being involved in an accident can be a worrying time, but the Motability Scheme is here to support you. Try to remember these simple tips if you, or one of your named drivers, has an accident.

  • Stay calm, ensure everyone is safe and don't admit fault
  • Call an ambulance by dialling 999 if anyone is injured. Call the police on 101 (the non-emergency number) if the other driver leaves without giving details
  • Make a note of the other driver's details and any witnesses by filling out the form on the accident checklist Will download a resource(PDF 45KB) . You can print out a copy to keep in your glovebox. Take pictures of the cars, drivers, passengers, damage and the accident scene from several angles
  • Report the incident to RSA Motability - please click on the 'Insurance' tab below
  • If you are unable to drive the car, call the RAC for roadside support and assistance - please see the 'Roadside assistance' tab below

Involving the police

If anyone is injured, or damage has been caused, you must show your Certificate of Motor Insurance to the police or to anyone involved in the accident. If you cannot give your details to the other driver(s) immediately, you will need to report the accident to the police within 24 hours.

Your insurance

Call RSA Motability (RSAM) on 0300 037 3737 as soon as possible after any accident to report the incident and register a claim. Lines are open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm Saturday. (If it is outside of these hours, make sure you report the incident when the lines are next open.) Send copies of all letters you receive about the accident to the RSAM claims department. It is important to fully co-operate with RSAM while the claim is being investigated. Failure to co-operate could result in your claim being unsuccessful and you could be banned from leasing a Motability car again.

Personal accident cover is provided up to a limit of £5,000 (per person) for the driver and any passengers. Your legal liabilities will also be covered.

Your insurance cover details

Roadside support and assistance

If you're not able to drive your car as a result of an accident, please contact RAC Motability Assist on 0800 73 111 73 or 0333 202 1878 for roadside support and assistance. They are available to help 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. They will pick up the car and take it to the repairer, who will assess the extent of the damage to the car and advise you whether repairs need to be carried out or not. RSAM have repairers across the UK. The car will only be repaired to its original specification. Damage to non-standard equipment or modifications, fitted without RSAM’s agreement are not included in this cover. If you are in the Republic of Ireland, the number to call is 1800 535 005.

RSAM will keep you up-to-date with the progress of repairs to your car. You may be able to get a temporary replacement vehicle while your own car is being repaired.