Print this page
Print this page

Taxing your car

When you take delivery of your new Motability car it will already be taxed for the first year. If you live in Great Britain or Northern Ireland we will then arrange for your car to be taxed each year throughout your lease agreement (unless you have chosen to pay tax privately). Since 1 October 2014 the DVLA have stopped issuing paper tax discs and have advised motorists that they no longer need to display a tax disc in their windscreen.

Why is the DVLA no longer issuing tax discs?

The DVLA has an electronic record of all cars and details of which ones are taxed.

What does this mean for me?

Although the DVLA will no longer issue paper tax discs, we will continue to arrange the tax for your car.

However, please be aware that proof of tax exemption or free parking entitlements is stipulated by the relevant local authority for each area. As this is still a fairly new process, you should check the parking guidelines and contact the relevant local authority in advance, to find out how they are identifying vehicles that are exempt from parking charges.

Can I see this online?

Yes, go to in new window , click on 'Check now' and enter the registration number and make of your car. Bear in mind that the online record will only be updated with new taxation details about a week before your current tax is due to expire. Alternatively you can call the DVLA on 0300 790 6802.

Customers living in the Isle of Man

If you live in the Isle of Man you are responsible for renewing the vehicle tax each year of your agreement. As a recipient of the higher rate mobility allowance, your Motability car will automatically receive the benefit of a Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) exemption, however your Certificate of Entitlement must be valid. Find out more about tax exemption hereOpens in new window .