Named drivers are people you choose to drive your Motability Scheme vehicle. Up to three named drivers are included as part of your lease; these can be yourself, friends, family or carers. Two named drivers can be nominated when you place your application, then if you require a third driver during your lease, they can be added by contacting RSA Motability.
Who can drive for you
In order to protect the Scheme, there are a few rules surrounding who can drive your vehicle:
- Named drivers must live within five miles of the disabled customer's address. We will, however, consider requests to include drivers outside of this range where this is essential to support the customer's mobility needs
- If none of the named drivers live at the disabled customer’s address, or the disabled customer lives in a care home where a number of drivers have access to the vehicle, we may consider fitting a location tracker. This is to ensure the customer is gaining direct benefit from the vehicle. We will always speak to the customer to discuss this in advance of a tracker being fitted
- Drivers under 25 are restricted to cars with an ABI Insurance Group 16 or lower and with a power output of 120 brakehorse power (BHP) or less (this does not apply to Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles). It is therefore important to consider whether you will require a driver aged under 25 during your lease before you choose your car. For more information on which cars are suitable, speak to your dealer or look up the car details on the Car Search
- Only one named driver under 21 is permitted – this could be the disabled customer, or another driver living at the same address
- We will only accept drivers who have a legally valid driving licence. Drivers with a non-UK driving licence will be subject to additional checks.
Proposed drivers with certain convictions, disqualifications or endorsements within the last five years will not be allowed. Speak to your dealer or RSA Motability (RSAM)Opens in new window for more information.
Only drivers approved by RSAM’s standard insurance underwriting criteria and named under the permitted drivers section of your Certificate of Motor Insurance are covered to drive your vehicle. Please note that drivers who have their own fully comprehensive insurance cover are not permitted to drive your Motability Scheme vehicle, unless they have been added to your lease as a named driver.
If you, or any named drivers, have driving licence restriction codes that require adaptations to be fitted to the car, your dealership will need to make sure that these adaptations are added to an application. Delivery of your car can’t take place until the correct adaptations are fitted. This is to ensure that you, or your driver, are driving the car according to the required driving licence codes held by the DVLA.
If the driving licence restriction codes are no longer required, please contact the DVLA to discuss the codes being removed from the licence. The DVLA can be contacted by calling 0300 790 6801.
Adding a driver at the start of your lease
When you place the order for your next vehicle, you will need to let your dealer know about who you wish to drive the vehicle, including yourself. This is the case even if you're keeping the same drivers as on your current lease. Named drivers will need to confirm that they will abide by the Scheme guidelines and acknowledge the fair processing declaration Will download a resource(PDF 147KB) to have their licence checked against the DVLA driver licence database.
Changing a driver during your lease
If you wish to add or change or driver during your lease, simply call RSA Motability (RSAM) on 0300 037 3737 and they will make the changes for you. Only the customer or their nominee can request a change of driver. RSAM will need to speak to your proposed named driver to confirm they will abide by the Scheme guidelines and acknowledge the fair processing declaration Will download a resource(PDF 147KB) to have their licence checked against the DVLA driver licence database, so they must be with you when you call.
Do you need a third driver?
If you would like to add a third driver during your lease please contact RSA Motability (RSAM). Only the customer or their nominee can request to add a driver. RSAM will need to speak to your proposed named driver to confirm they will abide by the Scheme guidelines and acknowledge the fair processing declaration to have their licence checked against the DVLA driver licence database, so they must be with you when you call.
We understand that you may require a temporary driver from time to time, for example, when you go on holiday or relatives come to visit. You can add a temporary driver at no extra charge. However, please note if you already have three drivers on your insurance policy you would need to swap out one of your existing drivers to accommodate this.
A temporary driver can be added onto your policy for up to 30 days at a time and must always abide by the Scheme rules and use the vehicle for your benefit. If you rely on this driver multiple times throughout the year, they must be included on your Certificate of Motor Insurance as a permanent driver. Please remember that temporary driver additions cannot be used as a substitute for a permanent driver. Please call RSAM on 0300 037 3737 for more information.
Keep us informed
- If your named drivers move address during your lease, you must inform the DVLA
- If a named driver is convicted of a motoring offence during the agreement, you must tell RSAM immediately to make sure you are still covered
- You should let the DVLA know about any change in you or your driver’s mobility or health which might make driving unsafe. But if your GP has passed you to drive and the DVLA are aware of these changes you do not need to contact us.