WAV stands for Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle. This means you can travel in the vehicle while seat in your wheelchair

Taking your vehicle abroad

You can take your Motability Scheme car or Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle abroad to a country within the European Union (EU) and to Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein.

There are a few important bits of information you need to know and documents you'll need to take with you.

Illustration of a happy group taking a selfie, with a car with a swivel seat nearby

How long can I stay abroad?

You can take your car or Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle abroad at no extra cost for up to 90 days in total within a 12-month period.

If you want to take it for longer than 90 days, you'll need permission from us before you travel. Contact our customer services team on 0300 456 4566 or speak to us using web messenger at least three weeks before you leave. If we agree, we'll send you our consent in writing.

You cannot take your vehicle abroad for longer than 12 months.

So you know, you cannot get cover for legal expenses while you're abroad.

If you're abroad and something happens that means you need to extend your stay, you need to let us know as soon as possible.

VE103 certificate

There's a form you need to take with you when you travel which proves you're allowed to take your car or Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle abroad and will cover you for 12 months. It's called a VE103 form.

You need to ask RAC Motability Assist for this. Call them on 0800 731 3310 at least three weeks before you leave.

Your driving licence

If you have a UK photocard driving licence, you can use your licence when you take your car or Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle abroad.

If you only have a paper driving licence you might need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to visit some European countries.

You can find out more about IDPs on the Government’s website, the Post Office’s website or from the Government of the country you're visiting.

European breakdown cover

When you ask for your VE103 you'll need to include RAC European Breakdown Cover too. You’ll get this at no extra cost.

As well as your VE103, you'll need to call RAC Motability Assist on 0800 731 3310 to talk to them about your breakdown cover.

If you choose to travel abroad without arranging breakdown cover you'll be responsible for all recovery charges if you break down.

Read more about breakdown cover

Check the rules for the country you're visiting

Make sure you check the motoring rules in the country you're visiting. In some European countries you need to pack high visibility jackets and a warning triangle in your boot.

You also need to display a ‘UK' sticker(opens in a new window) on your car or Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle in most countries. This replaces the ‘GB' sticker that used to be needed.

You may want to take a European Accident Statement form in case you have an accident, so you can easily exchange details with another driver. You can download this from Direct Line Motability

For more information on what’s needed in the country you’re travelling to, visit the RAC’s driving abroad page(opens in a new window).

Related FAQs

Can I take my vehicle abroad and how does this work?

You can take your vehicle abroad but there are limits based on type of vehicle you have and the length of time you're travelling for.

Read more

What do I do if I break down or need repairs while I'm abroad?

You’ll be offered RAC European breakdown cover when you ask for your VE103 certificate.

Read more