WAV stands for Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle. This means you can travel in the vehicle while seat in your wheelchair


Your Motability Scheme vehicle is covered by RAC Motability Assist for breakdown assistance for the whole of your lease.

This breakdown cover is only for your Scheme vehicle and does not include any other vehicle you travel in.

Illustration showing an accident scene

What to do if you break down

If your Scheme vehicle breaks down or will not start, you can report your breakdown online(opens in a new window). You’ll only need to enter a few details. You'll get a confirmation call and text, plus regular updates on your patrol's arrival.

Or you can download the myRAC app(opens in a new window). It's the easiest way to report your breakdown. Even if you’re not sure where you are, report it using the app and the RAC will know exactly where to find you. It has other helpful features too, like a route planner, vehicle maintenance reminders, news and advice. 

RAC will start finding a local patrol for you straight away. You'll get a confirmation call and text, plus regular updates on your patrol's arrival.

Or you can call RAC Motability Assist on 0800 73 111 73.

They'll try to get someone out to you within 45 minutes, but this can vary at busy times.

If you're on the road or a standard motorway:

  • Try to get your vehicle on the hard shoulder or close to the kerbside, away from the traffic, especially if you cannot leave it
  • Switch off the engine and put your hazard warning lights on
  • If you can, make sure every passenger leaves the car and moves to a safe place away from the road
  • Leave all animals in the vehicle
  • If you cannot use a mobile phone, use emergency telephones on the motorway and make your free emergency call (UK: 0800 73 111 73, Republic of Ireland: 1800 535 005)
  • You'll need to give your name, vehicle registration, exact location and details of your breakdown. And let them know if you or your passengers use a wheelchair, need urgent medical attention or have other needs

If you're on a smart motorway:

  • If the hard shoulder is being used as an active motorway lane, call 999, then call RAC Motability Assist
  • If the hard shoulder is not being used as an active motorway lane, try to get your vehicle to the kerbside of the hard shoulder, or into an Emergency Refuge Area, then call RAC Motability Assist

RAC Motability Assist's helpline and roadside assistance are available all day, every day of the year. Their staff are trained to deal with mobility concerns.

What RAC Motability Assist cover includes


If you're out and about and your vehicle cannot be repaired at the roadside, RAC Motability Assist will take it to the nearest repairer.

They'll come to wherever you've broken down, whether you're near or far from home.

Onward travel

RAC Motability Assist will do one of these to help you get to where you're going:

  • Take up to eight people to a single location
  • Give you a replacement vehicle
  • Arrange overnight accommodation or onward travel costs up to £100 per person or £300 per party, whichever is the lower amount

Replacement vehicles

If they decide your vehicle is not fit to drive, you can use a vehicle RAC Motability Assist give you for up to 48 hours. Then we'll contact you to discuss your options, if your vehicle is still not fixed.

Replacement vehicles are subject to availability and the terms of the rental firm and your contract with us. These include:

  • Only drivers on your Certificate of Motor Insurance are insured to drive a replacement vehicle
  • A fuel deposit. We’ll refund this as long as you return the vehicle to the hire company with a full tank of fuel. This is usually £1 and paid by card, but it can vary
  • Any fines or charges you get during the replacement vehicle period, like congestion charges and parking fines, are your responsibility to pay

Learn when you can get a replacement vehicle

What RAC Motability Assist cover does not include

Driving outside of the UK and Europe

You can travel outside of the UK in Europe, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein and you'll be covered by RAC Motability Assist.

If you're travelling within Europe, you need to ask the RAC for a VE103 first. Just call 0800 731 3310 and they'll offer you European breakdown cover.

See more about taking your vehicle abroad

Caravans and trailers

If you want to use your Scheme vehicle to tow a caravan, you can, but you’ll need to arrange separate insurance and breakdown cover for this. You can get this with most providers.

If you do not have separate cover and you break down while you’re towing a caravan or trailer, here’s what will happen.

The cover we give you is breakdown-related, not insurance-related, so it does not cover any contents inside your caravan or trailer.

Related FAQs

What do I do if my car or Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle breaks down? 

Contact the RAC.

Read more

What do I do if my scooter or powered wheelchair breaks down? 

What happens when you break down depends on if you're out and about or at home.

Read more

Am I covered if I break down while towing a caravan or trailer? 

If you break down while towing a caravan or trailer, RAC Motability Assist will come out to try and repair your car.

Read more