WAV stands for Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle. This means you can travel in the vehicle while seat in your wheelchair

If someone passes away

We understand it can be difficult and challenging when someone passes away.

We know it might be hard for you to let us know, but it's important you contact us as soon as you can so we can explain your options.

If you want to use the Government’s ‘Tell Us Once’ service, it’s important you speak to us first. This helps us make sure other drivers can keep using the vehicle for up to two weeks.

Contact us to let us know

If you’re the next of kin, call us on 0300 456 4566 or speak to us using live chat to let us know a customer has passed away.

We appreciate speaking to the next of kin is not always possible, so we can speak to somebody else on their behalf.

We’ll explain what the next steps are and answer any questions you have.

If you’d prefer not to call us right now, you can use our form instead and we’ll call you within 3 working days, but we’ll need to speak to you or someone on your behalf when we do.

Using the vehicle

If it’s a car or a Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle)

You cannot continue driving a vehicle if you’ve used the Government’s ‘Tell Us Once’ service before you speak to us, so it's important you let us know first.

Once you’ve told us and to help support you, any of your drivers can keep using the vehicle for up to two weeks. After that, you’ll need to hand it back to a dealer.

You do not need to remove any adaptations and can give it back sooner if this is easier. If there are no other drivers added, we can add a driver so you can return the vehicle.

If it’s a scooter or powered wheelchair

You cannot use it. You’ll need to store it safely until the dealer can collect it.

The Government’s ‘Tell Us Once’ service

This service lets most government organisations know that someone has passed away without you having to speak to each agency separately. This includes the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and the Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA).

Speak to us before you use the service so we can make sure the tax stays and you can continue driving. If you already used this service but you still need to use the vehicle, please contact us, but we cannot re-tax your vehicle in another name.

If you're planning to speak to the DVLA without using the service, you should still speak to us first, as the DVLA will still stop the tax once you've let them know.

The service is not available in Northern Ireland, so you'll need to speak to the Department for Communities directly.

If there’s an appointee

If the person who passed away has an appointee

The tax is registered in the name of the appointee and will stay, even if you used the ‘Tell Us Once’ service.

The appointee just needs to return the vehicle within two weeks of letting us know the customer has passed away.

If the appointee passes away

Please speak to us before you use the ‘Tell Us Once’ service or speak to the DVLA. This is because the tax is in the name of the appointee, not the customer.

If you want to choose a new appointee and continue

Please speak to us so we know, then speak to the DWP so they can make the change. This usually takes around six weeks, but any of your drivers can use the vehicle while you wait.

Once the DWP have confirmed the new appointee, we'll send them a form to transfer the agreement into their name. Once they return it and we’ve updated our systems, they’ll take over the lease.

Contacting the DWP

If you cannot use the ‘Tell Us Once’ service or you choose not to, you'll need to contact the DWP directly to let them know the customer or appointee has passed away. You can find out more at dwp.gov.uk.

The service is not available in Northern Ireland, so you'll need to speak to the Department for Communities directly if the customer or appointee lived there. You can see more at communities-ni.gov.uk.

Related FAQs

What happens if I go into residential care?

You can carry on with your lease agreement.

Read more

What happens if my allowance ends before my lease does?

The DWP will send you a renewal pack to reassess your claim.

Read more

Do I need to tell you if my medical condition changes?

You do not need to tell us about any changes, but this depends on a few things.

Read more

What happens if I'm in hospital for more than 28 days?

If you're over 18, your allowance will stop until you come out of hospital. If you're under 18, your allowance will continue.

Read more

What happens if the customer passes away?

Contact us so we can make sure your drivers can keep using the vehicle for two weeks and arrange for it to be picked up.

Read more

What happens to my payments if my allowance increases during my lease?

Whether your increase is paid to us depends whether you’re on a variable or fixed lease.

Read more