Print this page

Temporary replacement vehicles

There may be some situations when you are unable to use your own car for a while, for example, if your car is being serviced, repaired, or if you have broken down. We will do our best to keep you mobile by providing a temporary replacement vehicle.

Getting a temporary replacement vehicle

Please be aware that it is not possible to provide you with a like for like replacement vehicle. Our priority is responding quickly to your situation and getting you mobile, we will do our best to provide you with as suitable replacement vehicle as possible to keep you on the road and keep you mobile.

If you have given your dealer a minimum of three weeks’ notice, they will provide a replacement vehicle (one of their own courtesy cars). If you give less notice than this and the dealership does not have a replacement car available, your dealer may be able to arrange one through us. In order for your dealer to arrange this, your car must be off the road for at least 24 hours.

While attending your breakdown, if the RAC deems your car undriveable a replacement car provided by the RAC may be available as an option to keep you mobile. You need to request this within 24 hours of your breakdown or accident which was attended by the RAC. You can use the car for up to 48 hours initially, during which time you will be contacted by the RAC to discuss your ongoing mobility, should your car require more time to repair.

If your car is being repaired at a RSA Motability (RSAM) recommended repairer as part of an insurance claim, you will get a replacement vehicle until your car is fixed, or RSAM will contact you to discuss alternative arrangements. If your car is stolen, you may be required to provide additional information, for example a Crime Reference Number.

What type of vehicle will be provided?

Find out what temporary vehicle you are entitled to.

Most replacement vehicles are small 5-door cars such as a Ford Fiesta or Vauxhall Corsa. If this type of car is not suitable due to your disability or adaptations that you have on your Scheme car, please mention your needs when asking for a replacement vehicle. In some cases your dealer may be able to arrange for a bigger car. If you have adaptations fitted and your vehicle is off the road for 48 hours, we may be able to offer you a replacement vehicle with similar adaptations. We will do our best to help you but our priority is to find a solution to keep you mobile, your contract does not guarantee a like-for-like replacement.

If you cannot drive your WAV for more than 48 hours due to it being repaired we aim to provide you with a replacement vehicle to suit your needs. However, please note that due to the specialised and converted nature of WAVs, it may not be possible to provide you with a like-for-like wheelchair accessible replacement vehicle. If a replacement vehicle is not a suitable option, or your WAV is likely to be off the road for less than 48 hours, we will try to find an alternative solution to support your continuous mobility.

Using your temporary vehicle

If you are being provided with a temporary replacement vehicle by a repairer or dealer you will not be asked to pay anything, unless they require a fuel deposit. In most cases, the car will usually be supplied with a certain amount of fuel and you will be asked to return it with the same amount of fuel. However, for vehicles provided by hire car companies, there are a few things to bear in mind.

Things to consider

  • Fuel deposit: Any car provided by the RAC, RSA Motability (RSAM) or Motability Operations Ltd will have a full tank of fuel upon delivery. You will need to pay a fuel deposit to the hire company, which is usually £1 and payable by card, but can vary between companies. As long as you return the car in good condition, and with a full tank of fuel, this deposit will be refunded on to the card that you used to pay once the car has been received at the branch
  • Family next to car

  • Fuel charges: If the car is collected from you, the cost of the fuel used to get back to the depot will be taken off your deposit. Hire car companies charge top rates for fuel plus an administrative charge. If the tank is empty the fuel deposit may not cover the full cost and you will be invoiced for any outstanding amount.
  • Liability: You will need to sign a rental agreement and extension liability form. This means that you are responsible for any loss, damage or charges to the hire car.
  • Insurance: Your temporary replacement vehicle will be covered by your Scheme vehicle’s insurance policy, so there’s no need to arrange any additional cover.
  • Mileage: Please check whether there is a mileage limit. Some hire companies charge if you exceed this limit.


  • London Congestion Charge: If you are planning to travel in London’s congestion zones whilst you have a temporary replacement vehicle, you will first need to register the car with Transport for London (TFL). To do this, visit their websiteOpens in new window.
  • Dartford Crossing charge: Generally, if you are in a temporary replacement vehicle supplied by Europcar or Proximo, you are automatically exempt from the Dartford Crossing charge. However, there can sometimes be a delay in updating the record of exempt vehicles with the Dartford Crossing, for example, if you take delivery of a hire car on a Friday afternoon the records may not be updated until the following Monday. If you were to receive a charge during this time, you would need to call our Customer Services team on 0300 456 4566. Occasionally, temporary replacement vehicles supplied by RSAM are through Enterprise rather than Europcar. Enterprise hire cars are not automatically exempt and will need to be registered with the Dartford Crossing to avoid charges. Further information can be found hereOpens in new window.
  • Penalties, fines and charges: you are responsible for any fines, charges or penalties incurred.

In all instances, temporary replacement vehicles are subject to availability and the terms and conditions of the supplying rental firm and your agreement with Motability Operations Ltd. These will include:

  • Only those named as permitted drivers on your Certificate of Motor Insurance are insured to drive
  • Your permitted drivers must be able to produce a valid driving licence
  • You are not permitted to smoke in the hire car

When you collect the car from the hire car company you need to check that any damage is recorded on the rental agreement – if you notice any additional damage that is not recorded, please call First Call Assist on 0800 0280 999 within 24 hours of taking delivery. You will be responsible for any unrecorded damage and may need to pay an insurance excess.