If you are an existing Motability Scheme customer and are considering moving to a Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV) as your next vehicle on the Scheme, or are yet to join but are thinking of ordering a WAV on the Motability Scheme, you may be eligible for our WAV Experience to help you decide if this is the right option for you.
What is the WAV Experience?
Driving and travelling in a WAV can be a very different experience to a standard car, and while they are a great option for many customers, WAVs aren’t suitable for everyone. To give you and your named drivers a taste of what it is like to have a WAV on the Motability Scheme, we’ve introduced a WAV Experience where you can try a WAV for seven days without committing to a lease.
How does it work?
Following an initial conversation with our Customer Services team, a pre-selected WAV will be delivered to you by our adapted hire car company, Proximo. Proximo will show you round the vehicle and explain how the features work to ensure you and your drivers are confident in driving and operating the WAV.
You can then use the vehicle for seven days to get a better understanding of whether a WAV is the best option for your mobility needs.
At the end of the WAV Experience, Proximo will simply come back and collect the vehicle from you. There is no obligation to order a WAV after the WAV Experience and there is no cost to take part.
The purpose of the WAV Experience is to help you make an informed decision about whether a WAV is right for you. This experience should help you understand what having a WAV is like and guide you to the sorts of features you may need if you go on to lease a WAV on the Scheme. It is not a replacement for a WAV demonstration and if you decide to order a WAV after the WAV Experience, it is important that you arrange home demonstrations with WAV suppliers to find the best model for your needs.
Please note that we cannot provide specific makes and models of WAV for the WAV Experience. The vehicle that you will be provided with will depend on your requirements and the vehicles that Proximo have available at the time of your WAV Experience.
We can also only provide a passenger WAV as part of the WAV Experience. If you are interested in ordering a Drive From Wheelchair (DFW) or Internal Transfer (IT) WAV, please speak to a WAV supplier to arrange a home demonstration.
Who is eligible?
In order to be eligible for the WAV Experience, there are a few criteria that you need to meet:
- You do not already have a WAV on the Motability Scheme
- If you are an existing Scheme customer, you must be looking to end the lease on your current vehicle to move into a WAV, or be within the last 5 months of your current car lease and are seriously considering a WAV as your next vehicle.
- If you are not yet a Scheme customer, you must be receiving one of the qualifying allowances required to join the Scheme and be able to trial a WAV in the next two weeks.
- You have space to park a second vehicle near to your home (if you are an existing customer you will still have your current Motability Scheme car during the WAV Experience)
- You have not already trialled a WAV as part of the WAV Experience
- Please note that if you are not yet a Scheme customer, we will also need to check for any driving convictions or endorsements on your licence which may affect your eligibility for the WAV Experience
If you meet these criteria and want to find out more about the WAV Experience, please contact us on 0300 456 4566. If possible, please ensure you have your wheelchair dimensions to hand when you call.