WAV stands for Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle. This means you can travel in the vehicle while seat in your wheelchair

Moving to Adult Disability Payment

People living in Scotland aged between 16 years and State Pension age who receive Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and some people receiving Disability Living Allowance (DLA) will have their award transferred to Adult Disability Payment by Social Security Scotland.

When will I be transferred?

PIP transfers started in June 2022 in the Dundee, Perth, Kinross and Western Isles council areas and across the rest of Scotland from 29 August 2022. They are giving priority to anyone whose PIP award is going to be reviewed soon and anyone on DLA if they ask to transfer or would have to apply for PIP.

They hope to complete all transfers by summer 2024.

How will I know I’m being transferred?

Social Security Scotland and the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will send a letter to let you know you're being transferred.

Your payments from the DWP will continue during the transfer. None of your other DWP allowances will be affected.

It will take around three to four months. Social Security Scotland will write to you again to let you know it’s finished.

That’s when your Adult Disability Payment award begins and when it’ll start paying the new allowance.

Do I need to do anything?

Social Security Scotland will use information from your PIP or DLA award to pay you the same Adult Disability Payment rate. You do not need to do anything unless your circumstances change.

If your needs or personal details change during the transfer, you need to tell the DWP as soon as possible, as it’ll hold your information until Social Security Scotland takes over.

You can call the DWP on 0800 121 4600.

What if I've already started DWP reassessment?

You’ll need to finish that with the DWP even if it goes beyond 29 August 2022.

No one in Scotland will start reassessment with the DWP after 29 August 2022.

Will this affect my lease?

This should not affect your Motability Scheme lease. The DWP will continue making payments to us until you're transferred to Adult Disability Payment.

Then Social Security Scotland will make these payments instead. It’ll pay the same amount on the same day the DWP did, with no gaps, so you do not need to worry.

You can find out more about transferring to Adult Disability Payment on the Social Security Scotland website.

You can also contact Social Security Scotland on 0800 182 2222, but it can only answer general questions about being transferred.