WAV stands for Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle. This means you can travel in the vehicle while seat in your wheelchair

Moving to Child Disability Payment

Children living in Scotland who receive Disability Living Allowance (DLA) will have their award transferred to Child Disability Payment (CDP), which replaces DLA in Scotland.

Social Security Scotland has taken over disability assistance payments from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) for people living in Scotland, and transfers are expected to continue until spring 2023. 

In Scotland the Motability Scheme works through the Government’s Accessible Vehicles and Equipment scheme.

Am I affected?

It only affects children and young people living in Scotland who receive DLA.

Transfers will begin with people aged 15 and a half to 17 years old. Once you’ve been transferred, you’ll continue to be eligible for Child Disability Payment until you reach 18.

You cannot choose to stay on DLA or have the DWP manage your Child Disability Payment award.

None of your other DWP allowances will be affected by this transfer.

How will I know I’m being transferred?

Once it has your details, Social Security Scotland will send you a letter to let you know it’s started.

Your DLA payments from the DWP will continue during the transfer.

It will take around three to four months. Social Security Scotland will write to you again to let you know it’s finished.

That’s when your Child Disability Payment award begins and when it’ll start paying the new allowance.

Do I need to do anything?

Social Security Scotland will use information from your DLA award to pay you the same Child Disability Payment rate. You do not need to do anything unless your circumstances change.

If your needs or personal details change during the transfer, you need to tell the DWP as soon as possible, as it’ll hold your information until Social Security Scotland takes over.

You can call the DWP on 0800 121 4600.

How will this affect my lease?

This shouldn’t affect your Motability Scheme lease at all. The DWP will continue making DLA payments to us until you're transferred to Child Disability Payment.

Then Social Security Scotland will make these payments instead. It’ll pay the same amount on the same day the DWP did, with no gaps, so you do not need to worry.

Child Disability Payment and the Motability Scheme

In Scotland the Motability Scheme works through the Government’s Accessible Vehicles and Equipment scheme. So if you're getting the higher rate mobility component of Child Disability Payment, and you have at least 12 months remaining on your award, you can apply to lease a car, Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle), scooter or powered wheelchair through the Motability Scheme.

How the Scheme works

How to find out more

You can find out more about transferring from DLA to Child Disability Payment on the Social Security Scotland website.

You can also call Social Security Scotland on 0800 182 2222, but it can only answer general questions about being transferred.

Illustration of a man with a hearing aid thinking about costs

Not sure if you’re eligible for the Scheme?

You can check right now. Just answer a few questions.

Check if you’re eligible

Related FAQs

What happens if I do not get the higher rate mobility part of PIP?

You will not be able to stay on the Motability Scheme. Your lease will end and you must give your vehicle back.

Read more

What happens if I'm appealing an unsuccessful PIP reassessment?

You can still keep your vehicle for a number of weeks after your last DLA payment.

Read more

What happens if my allowance stops?

We'll help you return your vehicle and might offer you a transistion package.

Read more

Next: How you pay and what it costs