I'm looking for...

Recent searches
Suggested searches
Print this page

Breakdown assistance and cover

Your Motability Scheme car or WAV is covered for breakdown assistance for the whole of your lease. Cover is provided by RAC Motability Assist, which provides full breakdown support for Motability Scheme customers.

This breakdown cover is for your Motability Scheme vehicle only and does not include any other vehicle you travel in.

What RAC Motability Assist cover includes


If you’re out and about and your vehicle cannot be repaired at the roadside, RAC Motability Assist will take it to the nearest repairer.

Don’t forget that you can rely on Motability Assist to attend a breakdown of your vehicle, either at your home or your place of work.

Onward travel

Motability Assist will select one of these options to help you get to your destination:

  • Take up to eight people to a single location
  • Provide a replacement vehicle
  • Arrange overnight accommodation, or onward travel costs up to the value of £100 per person or £300 per party - whichever is the lesser amount.

Replacement cars

If your vehicle is judged as not fit to drive, you can use a vehicle provided by RAC Motability Assist for up to 48 hours. We will then be contact you to discuss your mobility options, if your vehicle is still not fixed.

Replacement vehicles are subject to availability and the terms and conditions of the supplying rental firm and your Motability contract. These Terms and Conditions include the following:

  • Only those named as drivers on your Certificate of Motor Insurance are insured to drive a replacement vehicle
  • A fuel deposit which will be refunded providing the vehicle is returned to the hire company with a full tank of fuel. This is usually £50 if you pay the deposit in cash, or £1 if you pay by card, but can vary between companies.
  • Any fines or charges such as congestion charges, incurred during the replacement vehicle period are the responsibility of the customer.

Find out more about when a replacement vehicle is available

What RAC Motability cover does not include

Driving in Europe

RAC Motability Assist does not cover travel outside of Europe. If you are travelling outside Europe, we advise that you arrange breakdown cover separately before you take your vehicle abroad.

If you are travelling within Europe, you will be offered RAC European breakdown cover when you request your VE103 from RAC by calling 0800 731 3310

More about taking your vehicle abroad

Caravans and trailers

If you break down while towing a caravan or trailer, RAC Motability Assist will attend to your vehicle but repairs to your caravan or trailer will cost extra. If the problem can't be fixed on the spot and the breakdown is a result of a fault to your vehicle, RAC Motability will tow your vehicle and trailer or caravan to a destination of your choice. However, if the breakdown is due to a fault to the trailer or caravan, RAC Motability will tow your vehicle and caravan or trailer to a place of safety, up to 10 miles away.

It is best to contact our Customer Services team on 0300 456 4566 before setting out on your journey to arrange additional cover for your caravan or trailer.

What to do if you break down

If your Motability Scheme vehicle breaks down or won’t start, call RAC Motability Assist on 0800 73 111 73. The service aims to get someone out to you within 45 minutes.

If you are on the road or on a standard motorway:

  • Try to get your vehicle close to the kerbside or on the hard shoulder, away from the traffic
  • Switch off the engine and put on your hazard warning lights
  • If possible, ensure all passengers leave the car and move to a safe position away from the road
  • If you or your passengers are unable to leave the vehicle, ensure the vehicle is as close as possible to the kerbside or on the hard shoulder
  • Leave all animals in the vehicle
  • If unable to use a mobile phone, use emergency telephones on the motorway and make your free emergency call (UK – 0800 73 111 73, Republic of Ireland – 1800 535 005 )
  • You will need to provide your name, your vehicle registration, your exact location and the nature of your breakdown. You should also let the RAC know if you or your passengers use a wheelchair, need urgent medical attention or have any other requirements.

If you are on a Smart Motorway:

  • If the hard shoulder is being used as an active motorway lane, call 999 and then call RAC Motability Assist.
  • If the hard shoulder is not being used as an active motorway lane, try to get your vehicle to the kerbside of the hard shoulder, or in to an Emergency Refuge Area if there is one nearby, and then call RAC Motability Assist.

The telephone helpline and roadside assistance is available 24 hours a day, every day of the year. RAC Motability Assist staff are specially trained to deal with the concerns of disabled people.