I'm looking for...

Recent searches
Suggested searches
Print this page

Your insurance cover

Together, with RSA Motability (RSAM) we have arranged to give insurance protection for all cars and Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles leased through the Motability Scheme.

You will find a summary of key points about your RSA Motability (RSAM) insurance below, but you will need to read your insurance cover booklet for full details.

Download the RSAM insurance cover booklet Will download a resource(PDF 276KB)

You can also find details about your insurance cover and named drivers in the 'Insurance cover' section of your Motability Scheme online accountOpens in new window.

You can also visit the RSAM websiteOpens in new window or call RSAM on 0300 037 3737 for more information or if you need to make an insurance claim.

No-claims discounts

As the vehicle is owned by Motability Operations Ltd you will not accrue any personal no-claims bonus.

Any personal no-claims history held before joining the Scheme may no longer be accepted by insurers if you leave the Scheme. Some insurance companies may honour previous personal no claims history, but this is usually only for a period of up to 2 or 3 years.

If you leave the Scheme, RSA Motability (RSAM) are able to provide a claims history letter which details any claims made by you and your nominated drivers along with the period of time you have had claims free driving. Many insurance companies will accept this a proof of your claims history.

What’s covered by your insurance policy:

  • Loss of, or damage to your vehicle
  • Accidental damage
  • Fire or theft damage
  • Repair or replacement glass
  • In-car equipment (such as a radio or CD player) permanently fitted or supplied with the car as standard
  • Adaptations and modifications which are needed and which we have agreed to and which RSAM have been informed about
  • Any accessories or tools supplied with the vehicle
  • Replacement locks where keys have been stolen and the theft reported to the police
  • Driving your vehicle for voluntary or charitable work, provided you don’t receive a fixed regular payment by the organisation
  • Travel to and from your normal workplace. Named drivers who do not live with you are not necessarily covered for these journeys. We will discuss this with you, where appropriate, at the beginning of your lease.

Personal accident cover

In the event of an accident which causes death, loss of limbs and/or permanent loss of sight in one or both eyes, cover is provided up to a limit of £5000 (per person) for the driver and any passengers.

For more information please contact RSAM on 0300 037 3737

Driving abroad

Under the terms of your insurance cover, you can take your car or Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle abroad within the European Union (EU) and to Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein free of charge for up to 90 days in any 12-month period.

Find out more about travelling abroad in your Motability Scheme vehicle

What’s not covered in your insurance policy:

Your excess (amount payable by you)

The excess amount varies depending on the age and experience of the driver. Details are given in your agreement and in your insurance policy document. If your car needs to be repaired you must pay the excess for each individual incident before the repair starts.

Loss of keys

You must pay the cost of any replacement keys and in some circumstances replacement locks.

Personal belongings

You will need to arrange your own contents insurance for personal items such as wheelchairs, coats and mobile phones. One option is to extend your household contents insurance cover.

Non-standard equipment or modifications

This means any optional extras, audio or other equipment fitted to the car, which are not essential to enable you to use the vehicle. If you have fitted essential equipment without agreement from us or and RSAM, this will not be covered.

Damage to the interior of the vehicle

Damage to the interior including rips, stains and burns to the trim, are not covered and may need to be repaired at your own cost. You do not need to make any repairs to damage which is within fair wear and tear.

Driving other cars

You are not covered to drive any other vehicle unless it has been provided or approved by us.

Unauthorised and uninsured drivers

Only the named drivers shown on your Certificate of Motor Insurance are covered to drive. Other drivers, not on the certificate, are not allowed to drive your Motability Scheme vehicle even if they have fully comprehensive insurance which provides cover to drive other cars. You may be held responsible for any loss or damage that occurs when someone not named on the policy is driving. Also, you may not be able to lease another car through the Motability Scheme.

You can change your named drivers at any time, as many times as you want to.

Business use cover

Business use is not included as standard in the insurance policy. If you need to use the car for business purposes, other than the journey to your usual workplace, you will need to contact RSAM to request this. Business use cover will not begin until you receive a new, current Certificate of Motor Insurance showing this cover. Please note, business use cover will only be provided for the current agreement and you will need to contact RSAM to reapply with each new lease agreement.

Other benefits

Loss of use benefit

If you are unable to drive your vehicle after loss or damage, we would aim to provide you with a temporary replacement vehicle. If a temporary replacement vehicle is not suitable for your needs, and an alternative solution to keep you mobile cannot be found, you may be able to claim for ‘loss of use’ benefits.

Find out more about temporary replacement vehicles

Uninsured loss recovery

If you are involved in an accident caused by someone else, and they have been identified, RSAM will try to recover your ‘uninsured losses’ from them. This means any items that are not covered by your insurance, for example: your excess, injuries and taxi fares. If you are injured, RSAM will appoint solicitors to act for you.

Recovery of uninsured losses can take a long time and is not always possible. You may also need to provide proof of your losses.

Being involved in an accident can be a worrying time, but the Motability Scheme is here to support you. Try to remember these simple tips if you, or one of your named drivers, has an accident:

  • Stay calm, ensure everyone is safe and don't admit fault
  • Call an ambulance by dialling 999 if anyone is injured. Call the police on 101 (the non-emergency number) if the other driver leaves without giving details
  • Make a note of the other driver's details and any witnesses by filling out the form on the accident checklist Will download a resource(PDF 45KB). You can print out a copy to keep in your glovebox. Take pictures of the cars, drivers, passengers, damage and the accident scene from several angles
  • Report the incident to RSA Motability (see 'Insurance' below).
  • If you are unable to drive the car, call the RAC for roadside support and assistance (see the 'Roadside assistance' below).

Involving the Police

If anyone is injured, or damage has been caused, you must show your Certificate of Motor Insurance to the police or to anyone involved in the accident. If you cannot give your details to the other driver(s) immediately, you will need to report the accident to the police within 24 hours.


Call RSA Motability (RSAM) on 0300 037 3737 as soon as possible after any accident to report the incident and register a claim. Lines are open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm Saturday. (If it is outside of these hours, make sure you report the incident when the lines are next open.) Send copies of all letters you receive about the accident to the RSAM claims department. It is important to fully co-operate with RSAM while the claim is being investigated. Failure to co-operate could result in your claim being unsuccessful and you could be banned from leasing a Motability car again.

Personal accident cover is provided up to a limit of £5,000 (per person) for the driver and any passengers. Your legal liabilities will also be covered.

Roadside support and assistance

If you're not able to drive your car as a result of an accident, please contact RAC Motability Assist on 0800 73 111 73 or 0333 202 1878 for roadside support and assistance. They are available to help 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. They will pick up the car and take it to the repairer, who will assess the extent of the damage to the car and advise you whether repairs need to be carried out or not. RSAM have repairers across the UK. The car will only be repaired to its original specification. Damage to non-standard equipment or modifications, fitted without RSAM’s agreement are not included in this cover. If you are in the Republic of Ireland, the number to call is 1800 535 005

RSAM will keep you up-to-date with the progress of repairs to your car. You may be able to get a temporary replacement vehicle while your own car is being repaired.