Awaiting Personal Independence Payment (PIP) reassessment
I am already a Motability Scheme customer
If you are a Scheme customer, it is really important that you respond to all DWP correspondence on time to ensure that there is no unnecessary disruption to your Scheme lease.
I am not a Motability Scheme customer
If you are waiting to be assessed for the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of PIP, you may want to consider how this could affect your eligibility for the Scheme.
customer I am already a Scheme customer
What impact will a PIP reassessment have on my lease agreement?
- If you are invited to apply for PIP and are awarded the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of PIP you are eligible to continue leasing a Motability vehicle. You should experience no disruption to your lease and will be able to stay in your car.
- If you are not awarded the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of PIP, you will no longer be eligible for the Scheme and we will be in touch to help you return the car and support you through this transition . You may also be eligible for a pro-rata refund of any Advance Payment you made. As soon as the car is returned you won’t have to pay any further lease payments.
My current lease is coming to an end, do I need to wait until after I have my PIP reassessment to place an order for my next Motability Scheme car?
- If you have at least 12 months of your current mobility allowance remaining then you can go ahead and choose your new vehicle.
- If you have less than 12 months remaining or you have received a letter from the DWP inviting you to apply for PIP, please call our Customers Services team on 0300 456 4566. We will discuss extending the lease on your current car so you can keep it until you find out the result.
noncustomer I am not a Scheme customer
I currently receive the Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance, do I need to wait until I am reassessed for PIP before joining the Scheme?
- If you have 12 months or more of your current allowance remaining then you can go ahead and apply to lease a car, scooter or powered wheelchair. If you are looking to join the Motability Scheme for the first time and thinking of trading in a car that you own to help with the cost of your Scheme vehicle, you may prefer to wait until the outcome of your PIP reassessment before taking the next step.
- If you have less than 12 months remaining, or you have a letter from the DWP inviting you for a PIP reassessment, you will not be able to place an order for a vehicle until you have confirmation that you have been awarded PIP. If you are awarded PIP please get back in touch to see how the Motability Scheme can help you.
If I join the Scheme now but later lose my allowance what will happen?
- You can only lease a vehicle on the Motability Scheme if you receive one of the relevant mobility allowances. But don’t worry if you choose to become a Scheme customer and you lose your mobility allowance, we’ll be here to support you.
- We will send you details of when and how you need to return the vehicle, as well as information on other mobility solutions. As long as you return the vehicle within the given timescales, there will be no further lease payments or early termination charges and you may receive a pro-rata refund if you paid an Advance Payment at the start of your car lease. We can also provide a price to buy the car if you wish to do so.
Find out more information about PIP
More information about the DWP’s plans for DLA and PIP can be found on the Government’s website:
https://www.gov.uk/personal-independence-paymentOpens in new window or for Northern Ireland visit:
Disability Rights UK (an independent charity) has produced a guide to claiming PIP, you can find this and other factsheets covering DLA and PIP at: