Getting your next car
As you reach the end of your current lease agreement, you may be thinking of getting your next Motability Scheme car. Choose from a wide range of cars from all of the top manufacturers, with over 70 cars that you can drive away in with no Advance Payment and hundreds more with Advance Payments at less than £500.
Motability Scheme leases generally run for three years from the date that you took delivery of your car. This date will be shown on your lease agreement. Three months before the end of your lease agreement , we will send you a letter to remind you that it is time to choose a new car on the Scheme.
You will need to have at least 12 months’ remaining on your qualifying allowance to order a new car. If you have less than 12 months remaining when it’s time to place a new application, or you would prefer to wait until you have confirmation of your new award, we will be able to extend your current lease.
Click on the headings below to count down your next steps from the three month period before your lease is due to expire, to the day you collect your new car.
Three months before the end of your lease:
- Consider adaptations if you think you need them. Some adaptations are transferable if you already have adaptations fitted to your current Motability Scheme car. Find out more about the adaptations that can be transferred between cars .
- If you are thinking of ordering a Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV) as your next vehicle on the Scheme, you may be eligible for our 'WAV Experience' to help you decide if this is the right option for you. Read more about the WAV Experience or call us on 0300 456 4566 for more information.
- Find a dealer and make an appointment.
- Take a test drive to make sure the car you’re interested in is suitable for your needs
- Make sure your name and address details are up to date with both the DVLA and the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)Opens in new window or Veterans UKOpens in new window
- Place your order with your dealer. Make sure you tell your dealer about anyone you wish to drive the car, including yourself. This is the case even if you’re keeping the same driver as on your current lease
- Once placed, we'll just need a few days to check your application before we pass it back to the dealership to order your car
- Check the progress of your application using your Motability Scheme online account .
Remember there are a few rules around who can drive your car . This includes drivers aged under 25 (whether yourself or a named driver) who are restricted to petrol, diesel or hybrid cars with an ABI Insurance Group of 16 or lower and with a power output of 120 brakehorse power (BHP) or less, and electric cars with an ABI Insurance Group of 21 or lower and with a power output of 140 brakehorse power (BHP) or less.
Ordering your car
When ordering your new car , take these with you:
- Your driving licence if you wish to drive
- Certificate of entitlement from either the DWP or Veterans UK
- Proof of address (e.g. recent utility bill)
- Named drivers’ driving licence and consent. Named drivers must give consent, either in person by going with you when you place your order or by filling out a Driver Fair Processing Declaration form Will download a resource(PDF 149KB) .
Two months to go:
- Your dealer should have already contacted you to arrange the MOT test for your current car (excluding customers in Northern Ireland and Isle of Man). If this has not happened, please contact your managing dealer as soon as possible to book the test
- The MOT test checks the safety features of your car, and is required as part of your Terms and Conditions, but don't worry, the cost of the test and any repairs needed due to general wear and tear are included as part of your lease
- Look out for your new Personal Identification Number (PIN). Your secure PIN enables you to ‘sign’ all the paperwork via the dealer’s computer. Your PIN enables you to ‘sign’ the new paperwork electronically, so it’s important to keep it safe and have it to hand when your new vehicle is delivered to your home. You can easily view your PIN within your Motability Scheme online account , but we'll also send you a copy along with information about your new lease and the Terms and Conditions.
One month to go:
- If you have adaptations fitted to your car, you don't have to remove them, but if you want to, please arrange this with your local adaptations installer. You are responsible for the costs involved in removing any adaptations, which will need to be made payable directly to the adaptations installer.
- Keep in touch with your dealer about the delivery date. Don’t worry if there’s a delay. The dealer supplying your new car will arrange for you to stay in your current car until the new one is ready. However, if you are in a low mileage or long term lease extension and there is a delay, please call 0300 456 4566 to arrange this.
- When collecting your new car, don’t forget to bring your driving licence plus the letter we sent you which includes your PIN. If you've lost your PIN, you can also access this within your Motability Scheme online accountOpens in new window .
- Return your current car to the dealer supplying your new car
- Hand back any documentation and equipment that was given to you with the car, such as the manufacturer handbook and any spare keys (including any red keys issued). This could also include a key for locking wheel nuts, a tyre inflation kit, radio or key codes, satellite navigation SD card, remote controls, parcel shelves or additional seats
- The dealer will take a brief condition description of the car. Provided the car is in good condition you could receive a bonus a few weeks later
- Check that you and/or your nominated drivers are on your new insurance cover note
- Make sure the dealer has your correct contact details so they can contact you during your lease with important information such as service reminders
- Before you enter your PIN ask your dealer to give you a tour of the car. If you don’t recognise any features please discuss this with your dealer before you leave.
Then drive away in your new car!
If you were a Scheme customer as of 31 December 2021, you may also qualify for our £250 New Vehicle Payment when you take delivery of your next car on the Scheme.