I'm looking for...

Recent searches
Suggested searches
  1. Print this page

    What age can I first receive the mobility allowance?

    The Higher Rate Mobility Component (HRMC) of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA) can be awarded from the third birthday of the disabled person. It is possible to apply for the allowance before that date and as long as the eligibility criteria is met, the award will start from when the disabled person turns three. If a child under three has had the allowance confirmed, an application can be made up to three months before their third birthday, but the lease agreement cannot start until the allowance is awarded. 

    If a child above the age of three is in receipt of the Higher Rate Mobility Allowance, an application can be made to the Motability Scheme. The application will need to be submitted in the name of the appointee (parent or guardian) who is responsible for the allowance. 

    In all areas except Scotland, children who receive HRMC of DLA can remain on this benefit until they reach the age of 16 as long as they continue to satisfy the eligibility criteria. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will write to existing claimants before their 16th birthday to inform them when their DLA will end and how to claim for Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

    Changes to disability assistance payments in Scotland

    Social Security Scotland have taken over responsibility for disability assistance payments from the DWP for people living in Scotland and have introduced Child Disability Payment, which will eventually replace DLA for children aged 3 months to 18 years living in Scotland. If you currently live in Scotland and receive DLA you will not be required to apply for PIP before your 16th birthday and will instead remain on DLA until you are transferred to Child Disability Payment. You will then continue to receive Child Disability Payment until you are 18. Find out more about Child Disability Payment here

    Find out about learning to drive on the Scheme

    Find out more about allowances used on the Scheme

Back to FAQs