I'm looking for

You recently searched for
Looking for any of these?

Sorry, something went wrong. Please wait a moment then try again.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

What is Disability Living Allowance (DLA)?

It helps you with the extra costs you might have because of a disability. It isn’t means tested or affected by earnings, other income or savings.

It’s for disabled people aged between 16 and State Pension age.

If you have a letter inviting you for a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) reassessment, you cannot order a vehicle until you’ve had your PIP confirmed.

You can only make a new claim for DLA if you're claiming for a child under 16.

How much can I receive?

The higher rate mobility part of DLA is currently £62.55 per week. You can apply for the Motability Scheme if you have at least 12 months left on your allowance.

What if my allowance changes?

Whether your allowance is being reassessed, changes or ends, we'll support you.

The Government is replacing DLA with Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for disabled people aged between 16 and State Pension age, even if they have an 'indefinite' or 'lifetime' award.

DLA will stay the same for children until they reach the age of 16, except in Scotland where they’ll continue to receive DLA until they're transferred to Child Disability Payment.

If your DLA is reassessed and you’re awarded the higher rate mobility part of PIP, you’ll continue to be eligible for the Scheme.

Waiting to move to PIP?
Illustration of a man with a hearing aid thinking about costs

Not sure if you’re eligible for the Scheme?

You can check right now – just answer a few questions.

Check if you’re eligible

Have a question?

Am I eligible to join the Motability Scheme?

You need at least 12 months remaining on your disability allowance to lease a vehicle through the Scheme.

Find out more

How do I apply to the Motability Scheme to lease a vehicle?

If you are eligible for the Scheme, all you need to do is contact your local Motability dealer to make an appointment and arrange test drives.

Find out more

What cars are available at nil Advance Payment?

We have a wide range of cars available at nil Advance Payment, and some that take less than the full allowance.

Find out more

Can someone else drive for me?

Our worry-free package includes insurance for up to three named drivers – these can be yourself, friends, family or carers. 

Find out more

Next: How you pay and what it costs